Map: Fissurefall

Special mods, make sure you don't miss anything in here!
Ripps

Post by Ripps »

yea i aggree...

This map, Frost, Claustraphobia, Cliffhanger & gallowspole are the best maps SO FAR

they all deserve a place in some kind of hall of fame.
Doobie_Chi

Post by Doobie_Chi »

You kidding?? THIS MAP SUCKS!!!

j/k of course its a great map..

good job, keep up the good work
Dj Suppai Saru

Post by Dj Suppai Saru »

Wow. This is prolly one of the most well made and COMPLETE maps out there. GREAT FRICKIN JOB.
Read the rules before posting a new sig
Crispy Spartan

Post by Crispy Spartan »

Thanks for all the compliments guys :)

I'm going to be really, really lazy here by copy and pasting what I said in the gearbox forums. Sorry, but I only would have retyped pretty much the same post... :)

---

I'm glad you find the level fun to play - it was designed with gameplay always at the front of my mind. I think what really helped was designing the level quite extensively on paper first. In fact, the first draft of the level was little more than a flow diagram. It was only when I started putting that flow into 3 dimensions that the idea of the big central void made sense. I'm an architect by training, so this was a familiar process and one I've used several times for real buildings.

In 3ds, the design continued to evolve. For example, there used to be a large column in the centre of the fissure with a ladder inside and bridges connecting at various hieghts. I soon realised that this focal point of the level would become clogged, so I switched to one big bridge. I was also always checking sightlines, planning flag escape routes and so on.

The look of the level almost designed itself. I just took a 200 unit grid and extruded the columns upwards, whilst continuing the lines through to the back of the cave. In hindsight, I should have chosen a more distinctive shader for the columns, as the material runs through the floor and cieling in places, but it's hard to spot.
The UVWs could do with a tidyup in several places too (I got my wrists smacked by Nitrous for that crime )

edit: I can't stand being sniped in mp games, which is why i hid the SR in such an awkward place besides, the level is so small, it's not a very useful weapon.

"yet another gigantic outdoor map" (this was quoting a post in the gbx thread)

Ah.
Well, the next map from us is just such a thing. It's not as wide open as bloodgulch, however - it has all sorts of cliffs, rivers, ramps, gullys, tunnels etc. Also asymmetric and completely different bases (so tactics for blue are not the same as tactics for red - will require bigtime balancing)

This map will also, by nature of its size, be more of a team effort - with custom textures, scenery etc. created by other team members.

And there's more in the piepline from the whole team (including more small and medium-sized maps)
Hoss-ST

Post by Hoss-ST »

Crispy Spartan, you are an excellent map maker. Just an idea, you should try and make a Lockout-type map. Not the exact map itself, just something along those lines. Check out this info on the map.

Direct from Bnet:

"LOCKOUT

This is already shaping up to be a classic level. It's changed since we showed Game Informer, but not that dramatically. There are some very cool graphical enhancements not shown here, but nothing too dramatic. Lockout is popular with the agoraphobic. Although it's set in the mountains, and features plenty of brisk outdoor battles, there's a ton of narrow, twisty corridors and horrifying shock moments as you run into shotgun blasts. This map features heavily in the Sketch-Frankie official deathmatch battles.

Dark corridors give way to bright courtyards, or the eerie green glow of underground installations. It's a lot bigger than the early map concept art indicates. And certainly more complex. Two central towers make excellent sniping platforms, although close-up battles happen there more often than not.

Another cool thing about this level is the audio. When outdoors, you'll hear, in awesome digital surround, wind whistling and howling through the mountaintops. Eerie and tense, it makes sniping a solitary and frightening job. Of course inside, you hear the gentle hum of machinery, or footsteps above as your assailants take the high road. This level has many, many vertical levels, and lots of ways to reach them. Carefully timed jumps can be a tremendous shortcut in Lockout."

Screenshots:

http://www.bungie.net/SlideShow.aspx?pa ... t&slide=15

http://www.bungie.net/SlideShow.aspx?Pa ... s&Slide=30

http://www.bungie.net/SlideShow.aspx?pa ... s&slide=33

http://www.bungie.net/SlideShow.aspx?Pa ... s&Slide=35

Just a thought, check it out!
Crispy Spartan

Post by Crispy Spartan »

I do have something like this in mind, actualy :)

Picture a Halo beam tower, scaled up x4, on top of a mountain peak, with platforms, tunnels and snow.

Not the next thing on my list, but near the top of it!
echo419x

Post by echo419x »

fungi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

its pronounced fun-guy doofus

now your pic is full of fungus!!!!!!!

haha
Crispy Spartan

Post by Crispy Spartan »

I am well aware of how to pronounce 'Fungi' :)

The 'joke' only really works in a written medium like the internet, where pronunciation doesn't matter so much. In much the same way as puns don't really work when written down (as it's immediately obvious which meaning was intended) - Fungi only makes sense when written down, and especially when put in the context of a familiar logo (automatically triggering a sound-type in your brain).
Italian_IcE

Post by Italian_IcE »

wow nice explanation
tidus9000

Post by tidus9000 »

this map looks funkaaaaaay! *randomly disco dances*
I wish i had a mac :(
-Cw-Chizzler

Post by -Cw-Chizzler »

CONGRATS ON MAKINGH OUTSTANDING MODS WTG

nice map i dont have CE though :(
=Hunter=

Post by =Hunter= »

WOW!
:shock: :shock: :shock:
Now I REALLY wish I had CE...I need to get a friend with broadband to DL it though, and that's not gonna happen anytime soon...

Awesome work, I myself have a few map ideas. Ascending Justice, Boulder Gulch (a massive canyon, with an even bigger tunnel system), and also a heavily fortified island archepelago. (I think I spelt that right!)

This is going STRAIGHT to my Favourites folder, I'll DL it when (if) I get CE. More pics, please!!!!
*salivates*
I finally started releasing my works. After 2 and a half years. Pop by and try them out!
Please DON'T bug me with questions on how to do basic modding. The tutorials are there for a reason, although I will help if you absolutely need it. Also DON'T ask me about Halo 2 modding, my Xbox isn't even modded.
moch230

Post by moch230 »

WHEN IS IT GOING TO BE DONE. I CANT WAIT :shock:
moch230

Post by moch230 »

nvm i found it. i didnt see it before
Jibbix

Post by Jibbix »

u MADE that?
Image size too large, 50KB limit.
XBL:
Un533n Sn1p3r
... come get owned sometime
daggerx

Commentator

Wow - Map: Fissurefall

Post by daggerx »

Beautiful, original
Request.
Can we get this for the xbox
Keyes

Post by Keyes »

It's HaloCE dumbass. Of course not.
Have you seen the "Sooty and Lizzie Show" yet?
Dffmn04

Re: Wow - Map: Fissurefall

Post by Dffmn04 »

daggerx wrote:Beautiful, original
Request.
Can we get this for the xbox
...holy crap...you bumped a topic that was like...three weeks old....and it's a CE map so you can't play it on Xbox.
I'm not a noob, i just don't get on files very much
Angle_Ally

Location: Around a corner and another corner and another corner and to the right of the last corner.

Post by Angle_Ally »

Well i must say. YOUR MAP IS THE MOST UNBELIEVABLE HALO CE MAP IV'E EVER PLAYED. I really wish i could make maps though. To bad 3ds Max costs like 2000-3000 dollars. :cry:
AfroRyan

Post by AfroRyan »

i know its a bit late, but i just want crispy to know: i think this is THE best original halo ce map there is, PERIOD. i also agree with Ripps about the OTHER great maps out there. plus, i really like complex (who doesn't?), but u can hardly call that an ORIGINAL idea;).
Poop......