(Halo 1)HHT - Halo Hacker Tools

Utilities primarily designed for the original Halo.
h4xx3d

Post by h4xx3d »

from what i understand it cannot yet be used to inject models, sounds, or bitmaps, properly, just effects wind, sky, weapons, and things of that effect excluding the dependancies i mentioned above. However i may be wrong. And if it can inject these things properly then hell i've got some moddin to do.
geminijunodeluxe

Post by geminijunodeluxe »

Id like a tutorial too on how to make a imported vehicles look good using HHT because all of you guys say that its possible with this program but i dont expect anything because of you guys and all of your conceit.
seagoat

Articulatist 250

Post by seagoat »

it doesnt make sence to me how this program can fix models. i dont see the point in this program. sure it can swap dependancies. whoop whoop. but why. what can you do that is so great and wonderful that you couldnt do before with a little work?someone, please, just explain this program and everyone will stop asking what it does.
h4xx3d

Post by h4xx3d »

fixing reflexives and dependancies is very time consuming, this app saves alot of the pain in making many mods. and he said more features are coming soon, and was even hinting at collision model import/export. so shut your fuking mouth and quit complaining
xorange

Articulatist 100

Post by xorange »

geminijunodeluxe wrote:Id like a tutorial too on how to make a imported vehicles look good using HHT because all of you guys say that its possible with this program but i dont expect anything because of you guys and all of your conceit.
Hi ^_^
Ok, here's the thing. It depends on exactly what you're talking about.
There are things that HHT cannot do, and there are things it can.
First off it does not at this moment have model, sound or bitmap injection/extraction. Hopefully these will be added, but don't bug CLuis about it. ;)
Now, keep in mind I'm speaking from Xbox modding experience, but it's pretty close to PC for the most part, afaik.

When taking something like a vehicle from one level and putting it in another there are sooo many things that go along with it.
First there's all the meta for the vehicle....it's vehicle meta, collision model meta, model meta, bitmap meta, shader meta, projectile meta, etc.
Then there are the parts of the vehicle that the meta points to, but are actually external to the meta. Like the actual model data and the bitmaps for example. (In the case of HPC, which I am not particularly familiar with, the bitmaps, and perhaps more, are in a seperate file...bitmaps.map I believe.)

Now when you're trying to put all this in another map there are various things you have to change so that everything is accurate and works properly.
One of those things is a reflexive. A reflexive is an offset (pointer), in little endian (like everything else) & offset by magic.
There are lots of these in meta and they all need to be recalculated properly so that they still point to the appropriate spot.
Fortunately when you extract meta from one map, using HMT or HHT, and then inject it into another map (using the same program) the reflexives are all recalculated for you.
So, basically, for the most part you don't really need to worry about these.

One of the other main things that needs to be changed are dependencies.
For example the AR projectile is a dependency of the AR.
This is currently HHT's specialty, swapping dependencies!...which until now was often a very tedious task.
When you open HHT and select any tag it will show you it's dependencies in the dependency swapper, where you can easily change them.
When you inject meta with HHT it will leave a dependency the same if it exists in the map. Generally the dependency will be completely wrong, because the identifiers are all different, but if you're injecting other meta you'll probably know what dependency you want to swap something for anyway.

One of the things that will not turn out correctly when injecting meta is models and bitmaps.
Model meta, for instance, has pointers to raw model verts, normals, texture mapping and indices that are elsewhere in the map. In fact, they even have some redundant pointers that point to other pointers, that in turn point to the raw data.
Bitmap meta contains raw pointers that point to individual bitmaps.
That are not reflexives (& are not even offset by magic), and thus are not recalc'ed by HHT or HMT. They're just offsets (in little endian!) that point somewhere.
When you see a dependency in HHT that says "Unknown dependency" it's usually a tag, with some other data, followed by one of these raw pointers.
These can be swapped with HHT, but they'll likely be wrong.
These raw pointers have to be recalculated and reentered manually for things to work properly...or you can just inject your models, etc where ever possible and skip injecting their meta.

Now, if you're just having trouble getting models that you injected with HMT to look right that's a different story.
The model injection plugin for HMT simply DOES NOT work very well. (may not work at all with HPC I'm told)
If you are very good at hex editing, and have some skill with models there are ways to make Xbox models look better once they are injected, but that's a whole different topic.

Basically, HHT does many of the things that HMT does, plus it has a dependency swapper, which is a very handy tool.
This program alone will not just magically import an vehicle, or anything else, into another map.
It is a great tool that you can use to help you mod Halo, but you will also need to know what you're doing.
This app. alone does not require a tutorial, thus it's not CLuis's responsibility to make one. He made it for himself and others who have enough knowledge about modding Halo to know how to use it.
You can be one of these people.
The knowledge you need to be able to operate this program is freely available mostly on forums & in tutorials.
If everyone would just search instead of complaining, then they'd end up having nothing to complain about.
Hint: A lot of people will be much more inclined to give you a straight answer to a specific, educated question rather than to a complicated, general question.
(Though some people will just flame you no matter what you say...lol)

I hope at least some of that was helpful. :wink:

When searching make sure to look all over the place.
One great resource for beginners is the Xbox-scene game hacking forums.
In addition to recent posts, don't be afraid to search through some old posts...back when people were still discovering everything and everone wasn't so tired of answering questions. heh
seagoat

Articulatist 250

Post by seagoat »

thank you for being so kind and telling what this proggy does, thats all i really wanted to know. but i have one question. hopefully it is educated and specific. when injecting meta, this program fixes reflexives, i beleive, but does it also fix object pointers (if the object is present in the map of course)?
DeathBall

Post by DeathBall »

Ok, this may be a stupid question, but i tried injecting the rocket meta over an assload of stuff until i noticed something. How can the meta of the rocket projectile be larger than that of the Tank?
geminijunodeluxe

Post by geminijunodeluxe »

Yes, thank you for that program description.
xorange

Articulatist 100

Post by xorange »

seagoat wrote:thank you for being so kind and telling what this proggy does, thats all i really wanted to know. but i have one question. hopefully it is educated and specific. when injecting meta, this program fixes reflexives, i beleive, but does it also fix object pointers (if the object is present in the map of course)?
You're welcome. ^_^

Yes, this program does fix the reflexives, and by "object pointers" do you mean the "dependencies"?

...I think I know what you mean so I'll try to explain, and if I have the wrong idea just lemme' know.

When you inject meta HHT will look at the existing dependencies, which look like this:
6F736F73 784E3B80 00000000 4200B6E1 ososxN;.....B...
They have a tag, pathname offset, some zeros and an identifier. All in little-endian (backwards).

As far as I know HHT will look at the pathname, and if it exists it will update the identifier to whatever it should be for the map.
If the pathname doesn't exist it will leave the ID the same, usually resulting in strange incorrect dependencies.

From my experience, after injecting meta the dependency swapper will show the wrong dependencies...to fix it just select a different item, then reselect the item you just injected over and the dep. swapper will show you the updated dependencies.
royale T

Summary

Post by royale T »

Thanx for the help Xorange, once you notice the dependencies and start to REALISE how handy this is in comparison to HMT3 you can just help yourself. I think this program also gives (at least newbies) a faster understanding of all the differences between the different things that come with objects. With HMT3 there were times I just tried swapping well just for the swapping, but with this program I know WHAT I want to swap.

Since this forum has become the bitchin side of halomods.com and I have read it all I shall now be giving a nice summary to close the story
(havent we all been waiting for that :P)
I agree with xorange that the maker of a program is NOT obligated to provide his program with a tutorial, HOWEVER I do think that when a program is released a small tutorial, no not tutorial a function explenation, from the MAKER would be best for everyone and I say EVERYONE because @ the bottom of it shall be "

"This program has been made for those who understand it, therefore I shall only recieve and except complements and reconsider advices that come from those who understood the program. I shall NOT answer questions or write a tutorial since an explenation of the functions is the only things I want to spend free time on to make for newbies."

THANX CLUIS for the timesaver
seagoat

Articulatist 250

Post by seagoat »

yea i meant dependancies when i said object pointers. ok, so, if i wanted to get the destructable single player ghost into multiplayer without rebuilding, i could just inject the meta and it would fix most of the dependancies (i think there is one shader or bitmap in singleplayer that makes the ghost look sleeker) and the reflexives. thats tight. this program is very useful, even though it doesnt fix models yet. i love the ability to null out dependancies. thanks xorange.
reso

Post by reso »

so is HMT the only proggie that can import and export the .dds files?

Im getting tired of it only loading up certain textures for the chosen map .. I need all the textures for all maps at once :(

open map eport texture close map open map import texture close map etc etc etc

meh
h4xx3d

Post by h4xx3d »

you can run multiple instances of hmt....
DeathBall

Post by DeathBall »

Can i use this to put a shotgun from 343 into the level halo?
Banshee Ace 2

Post by Banshee Ace 2 »

Is the depencies feature the only thing new about this?
Ah, Halomods has undergone some progress since i've left.
MrFlammable

Post by MrFlammable »

ok, sry for this uber-n00b question, but how do i apply for example a .ppf file to a .map file?
MrFlammable

Post by MrFlammable »

nevermind, according to another post this isnt for pc

Post by 11691 »

Now that this program is out, with the help of HMT, I can build maps with bots in them from scratch(I don't mean building a map starting out with a blank mapfile, but as in, not editing other maps with bots in them, but actually inserting the bots myself). Good job. I'm going to use this frequently.
dontkillme_101

Post by dontkillme_101 »

Pickletron2002 wrote:it says "The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000135). Click on OK to terminate the application." whats wrong? or do i need .net framework?
Same to me
TheProphet#2030

Post by TheProphet#2030 »

Hi, yea..i heard of BG Edit before its to set the value of guns and stuff, but for some reason mine is not working, it has this error

"System Error &H8007007E (-21472024770). The Specified Module Could Not Be Found"

I dunno if theres a file missing or what is going on, but can someone tell me what to do, because i wouldnt mind taking the value of the tank bullet and such and putting it into the automatic =)

Thanks

-Mike