how to move SBSP models

Tutorials for the PC version of Halo 1.
bcnipod

how to move SBSP models

Post by bcnipod »

Essay on how to move SBSP models
By: Dirk (Yes, me)

-----------------------------------------------------------

For this, i am going to be talking about coordinate points and lots of 1,2, and 3 dimensional planes so to become more familar with the sbsp model open eschaton 0.6 and go to the scenario viewer. From there export the sbsp as an obj and open it in notepad or textedit. Become aquianted with the coordinate system if you need to.

Every sbsp in halo is on a coordinate plane. This plane has three axises, x,y,z. Another thing they all have in common is that they are all different distances from the point 0,0,0. In order to move any model data we are first going to need a point of origin on the model. This point is at the exact center of the model. This point is the center of a sphere that encompasses the whole model.

To get this point we will need to find the midpoint of each plane of this model. To do this we need to identify the x,y,z coordinate values and use the midpoint formula on the furthest apart values on each separate plane. First x, then y, then z. The value you get for each of those equations will give you the coordinates of the center point on the model, as well as the radius for each of the separate planes.

Repeat this step for both sbsp models. Now that you have the center radius of the models, you determine the distance that the center coordinate point is from the origin. This step is key in moving a new sbsp model into place where the original was.

Determine the distance that point x,y,z is from 0,0,0. Once you do that, do the same for the replacement sbsp model. Now you know how to move the new sbsp into the same location as the original was. Now all that is left to do is use the points you have to accuaretly translate the whole new sbsp model into position where the old one was.

NOTE: this will only move the sbsp model data. The collision model will not change and cannot be moved in this same fashion.
Twitter: Dirk Gently | Major lulz
Mr. Brightside: Worst mod I've seen since 'Nam.
Website
guysullavin

Re: how to move SBSP models

Post by guysullavin »

wut?
please descirbe this in retard
Not Removing until Prototype comes out. Started 1/7/2009
obj1: DUDE'S GOT A POINT....I GIVE THIS PRODUCT A TRY....HELL WHAT COULD GO WRONG!
waev: caps lock might
bcnipod

Re: how to move SBSP models

Post by bcnipod »

lol, basically this tells you how to move the location of the model data of the sbsp, as stated by other people on different boards this can enable you to basically create a new map using the collision from the old without using the old model. This was specifically for Alt, and eschaton .7.3+ so when you inject a new sbsp it could be in the same location has the original was so you would not have to move all the new game flags huge distances to get the spawn point be over the new sbsp.
Twitter: Dirk Gently | Major lulz
Mr. Brightside: Worst mod I've seen since 'Nam.
Website