Epic Tutorials On Editing Sounds In HaloPC

Tutorials for the PC version of Halo 1.
Pepsi

Snitch! Wordewatician 500

Epic Tutorials On Editing Sounds In HaloPC

Post by Pepsi »

All Credit Goes to Saggy For Everything Written Below. Tuts Slightly Edit By Myself But Asking For No Credit. Just Cleaning Them Up Some.

This is only for dialog and main menu music, not sound effects. Sound effects is found below in a seperate tutorial.

----List Of Equipment----
1. Xbox ADPCM Audio Codec
2. WinRAR
3. OGG Music Converter
4. Halo Map Tools 3.5
5. Microsoft .NET Frame Work
6. A Microphone
7. Windows XP or Vista

you can find all these items HERE

----Tutorial----
1) First, download and extract the xbox codec to your Desktop.

1.2) Right click the file named XBADPCMinst.inf and select Install.
  • When installation is complete, open up Control Panel, then click Sounds, Speech, Audio Devices, then click Sound And Audio Devices. Select the Hardware tag. Double Click Audio Codecs then select the Properties tag. Locate Xbox ADPCM Audio Codec then Double Click it and set the priority to 1 and make sure Use This Audio Codec is enabled.
2.) Now open Halo Map Tools 3.5 and go to the map with the dialog/music that you want to change.
  • Once the map is open, scroll down until you find Sound tag. Click on it.

Choose your sound effect and select it.

To your right click Save Track. Save to wherever you want but DON'T rename it!
3.) Now open Sound Recorder by going to Start>Program Files>Accessories>Entertainment>Sound Recorder.

4.) With a microphone connected to your computer click the Red Circle and make a noise OR skip this step and look at step 4.2
  • Instead of using Sound Recorder, You can use a Mp3. Song you have on your computer. To do this, open OGG Converter and click evaluate. Select: Mp3. Click next. Click Add Files... and choose your song. Ckeck the box beside it and click next. Click WAV and click next. Keep the settings the same and click next. Uncheck the box that says Launch file explorer and go to output folder when finished converting. Click next. Click convert. Go to next step.
5.) Open your WAV file in Sound Recorder and and go to File and select Properties.

6.) Click Convert Now

7.) For format choose Xbox ADPCM Audio Codec. For attributes select 22.050 kHz, 4 Bit, Mono 12kb/sec

8.) Now save your .WAV as the file you saved in HMT 3.5. Click yes to overwrite.

9.) Now open OGG Converter and click Evaluate, select WAV, click next.
  • Click Add Files... and select your .WAV sound.

Check the box beside it and click Next.

Select OGG and click next.

For frequency select 22,050 Hz. Click Next.

Uncheck the box that says Launch file explorer and go to output folder when finished converting. Click Next.

Click Convert.
10.) Open up Halo Map Tools 3.5 and open UI.map for example (If you cant find it it should be under D:\Program Files\Microsft Games\Halo\Maps\)

11.) Scroll down in Halo Map Tools until you find the Sound tag and click on it.

12.) Select sound\music\title1\loops in the sound tag.

13.) On your right, select halo_orig_title. Click Import Track and open your .Ogg file. Click OK on the pop up and click the Save Button.

14.) Open up Halo and wait 15 seconds at the main menu, your song/sound should now be playing!

This Part Is Only For SFX
Ok, first off all, you are going to need some equipment to do this.

----List Of Equipment----
1. Xbox ADPCM Audio Codec
2. WinRAR
3. OGG Music Converter
4. Halo Map Tools 3.5
5. Microsoft .NET Frame Work
6. A Microphone
7. Windows XP or Vista

you can find all these items HERE

----Tutorial----
1) First, download and extract the xbox codec to your Desktop.

1.2) Right click the file named XBADPCMinst.inf and select Install.

1.3) When installation is complete, open up Control Panel, then click Sounds, Speech, Audio Devices, then click Sound And Audio Devices. Select the Hardware tag. Double Click Audio Codecs then select the Properties tag. Locate Xbox ADPCM Audio Codec then Double Click it and set the priority to 1 and make sure Use This Audio Codec is enabled.

2.) Now open Halo Map Tools 3.5 and go to the map with the sound effect that you want to change.
  • Once the map is open, scroll down until you find Sound tag. Click on it.

Choose your sound effect and select it.

To your right click Save Track. Save to wherever you want but DON'T rename it!
3.) Now open Sound Recorder by going to Start>Program Files>Accessories>Entertainment>Sound Recorder.

4.) With a microphone connected to your computer click the Red Circle and make a noise.

5.) With You WAV file open in Sound Recorder, click File and select Properties.

6.) Click Convert Now

7.) For format choose Xbox ADPCM Audio Codec. For attributes select 22.050 kHz, 4 Bit, Mono 11kb/sec

8.) Now save your .WAV file over the track you saved in Halo Map Tools. Click yes to overwrite.

9.) Open up Halo Map Tools 3.5 and open bloodgulch.map for example (If you cant find it it should be under D:\Program Files\Microsft Games\Halo\Maps\)

10.) Scroll down in Halo Map Tools until you find the Sound tag and click on it.

11.) Say you selected sound\sfx\weapons\pistol\fire as your new track in the sound tag.

12.) On your right click Import Track and select your .WAV file. Click OK on the pop up and click the Save Button.

13.) Open up Halo and Play bloodgulch and test your sound!
Last edited by Pepsi on Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life is not how you survive the storm, but how you dance in the rain
DkHawk

Post by DkHawk »

Well.. Juts to contribute to this (if it helps) Theres a program called JetAudio that also converts to .ogg and a lot of other formats and its free as well.
Sig over height and file size limits.
SL!P
Readers Club

Re: Epic Tutorials On Editing Sounds In HaloPC

Post by SL!P »

Pepsi wrote: ----List Of Equipment----
7. Windows XP
D=

Are you SURE this wouldn't work for vista?

If the answer is yes, that just plain sucks...
WTF
Pepsi

Post by Pepsi »

the tut was wrtten before vista was out. maybe you can check k?
UPS

Post by UPS »

Yeaah...
What's a good website for obtaining these custom sounds (for SFX mainly)
I've googled a few times, but you always have to buy them.. which is odd as hell.
Cryticfarm

Re: Epic Tutorials On Editing Sounds In HaloPC

Post by Cryticfarm »

SL!P wrote:
Pepsi wrote: ----List Of Equipment----
7. Windows XP
D=

Are you SURE this wouldn't work for vista?

If the answer is yes, that just plain sucks...
It works for vista :P
Only problem is that you have to record and save the .wav with the codec in a different program then sound recorder.
Pepsi

Post by Pepsi »

tut edited to reflect this. thx crypt.
swampyevilnut117

Wordewatician 50

Post by swampyevilnut117 »

i did everything you said to put music into the main menu, i didn it exactly the settings you said, but when the music plays, it only plays like the first 5 seconds of the song and stops. Do you know why?
And, do you know how to fix it?
hiheyhello

Post by hiheyhello »

this has been discussed a lot lately, 1 is because sound in any game is made up of many sound put together in chunks, in this case only 5 seconds, so if you want it to play all the way through you would have to split the music in 5 second chunks to make it play like a whole song. I think i got this right, if im wrong on any parts correct me please.
Tural wrote:I like to pretend I have friends.
swampyevilnut1337

Post by swampyevilnut1337 »

well i had found that out while doing this, but the only problem is the map isnt holding onto the chunks I import. :\
minimario1315

Articulatist 50

Post by minimario1315 »

I still can't import the stupid custom sound effects... I guess I'll try putting some good music in the UI...

oh and some settings for the convert would be nice... in case some people would rather not use that wonderful link you gave us :evil: I'm talking about the mp3 to WAV
Blarg-Blarg-Blarg!
Readers Club

Post by Blarg-Blarg-Blarg! »

I just need that frigin OGG converter your talking about! I'd hate to bump, but I can never get this because of NO OGG CONVERTER THAT SAYS EVALUATE!!!!!! BE SPECIFIC!!!!! What brand, what name? Be specific!
bcnipod

Post by bcnipod »

i think that should have been asked in a PM.
Twitter: Dirk Gently | Major lulz
Mr. Brightside: Worst mod I've seen since 'Nam.
Website
thehaloarray

Post by thehaloarray »

I don't mean to bump but just in case someone cant find an .ogg converter you could use audacity.
Blarg-Blarg-Blarg!
Readers Club

Post by Blarg-Blarg-Blarg! »

thehaloarray wrote:I don't mean to bump
but I followed this perfectly, and it still didn't work. I got the H3 menu suite and edited it to only have the huuu huu hu huu hua hu huu huuuuu - hua huaa hueaaaa, hua huu hua hueee - hou huuu huu hu hua hue - huu hua hue hu.a hoouuuuuu huuuuuuuu part. But nothing ever happened. I asked Pepsi to help, but he never responds. He just ignores me. Has anyone done this and succeeded yet? If so, can they do it for me?
Dark_Destroyer

Post by Dark_Destroyer »

The sound files is made of chunk data sets in which it plays a list of tunes as it progresses maybe you have only injected the first 30seconds of the tune not the whole lot.
AZ_Grunter wrote:My family won't let me install a new GF. Besides id ont have the money for one.
WaeV

Advisor

Post by WaeV »

I've only managed to get Halo to recognize new menu music at all when converted using audacity, but it gets cut off after 5 seconds. Anyone know the problem? I didn't have a "file truncated" warning either.

I would use "OGG Music Converter" as you specified but I can't find it, and none of the other free ones I can find let you adjust the bitrate, etc.
ares-erus

Post by ares-erus »

list of free downloadable sounds:
http://www.stonewashed.net/sfx.html
ImageImage
Pakundo

Post by Pakundo »

All I can say is, now that this thread has been bumped, is that it would be EXTREMELY helpful to know wich OGG converter you meant...
The amount of YouTube videos under my name gets larger and larger... :D
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=CptPakundo
WaeV

Advisor

Post by WaeV »

http://www.ogg-converter.com/oggsetup.exe

I figured I might as well put this here; this is the converter Pepsi was talking about, though I still can't get the music to work properly.