Fixing First Person Model and Animaton After BSP Conversion

Tutorials for the Xbox version of Halo 2.

Is this tutorial someone helpful to you?

Yes
100%
Some parts here and there
No votes
No
No votes

Total votes: 1

StalkingGrunt911

Recreator Connoisseur Acolyte Coroner
Sigma Pyre

Fixing First Person Model and Animaton After BSP Conversion

Post by StalkingGrunt911 »

-Fixing First Person Model and Animaton After BSP Conversion-
This tutorial will show you how to fix a common error when you transfer a BSP from a campaign map into a multiplayer map.

Introduction
Have you ever transfer a BSP and the FP [first person] model for your weapon is invisible? You get that feeling that you messed up and have to restart? If so you did not screw up, nor did the program you used.

Why this happens

The reason this happens is because the map you have chosen only uses one of the bipeds, being Master Chief or the Arbiter. If the Campaign map you are playing has Master Chief as your character any Elite in your Multiplayer map will have this problem same goes for a map that plays as the Arbiter, your Spartan will have this problem. It's just because the weapons in Campaign don't have it set where both bipeds have a FP model and animation, simply because there is no need if you are only play as one biped. This is a simple fix and doesn't take that many steps to fix. :]

~Legend starts from here down~
Blue - Anything relating to Models or Animation
Red - Anything related to programs.
Green - Anything related to map names, weapons, or bipeds.
Orange - Anything related to tags.

What you will need

Link to all Entity versions.
Weapon Plugin

So your FP turns out like this?

Not to worry here is what you must do.
Open up Entity Beta or any version higher will do the trick. Open up your map, I'll be using Sanctuary with Outskirts BSP in it.

Locate your [weap] tag.

Now choose the weapon(s) that give you this error. Most if not all weapons should. I'll use the Battle Rifle.

Once you have selected your weapon right click on the reflexives (the thing in the middle if you don't know what I'm refering too) and choose Show>Display Indents.

If you can now see your idents scroll down until you Model[0] or Model[1]. The [0] is for Spartan and the [1] is for Elite. My Spartan tags are fine so the Model[0] and Animation[0] should not be nulled. So I need to fix the Elite model and animation tags.

Select the model that you need to fix. Remember [0] is for Spartan and the [1] is for Elite. Right click on it and select Swap.

The Ident Swapper will show up and it looks like this.

Set the combo box to the very left to the tag class which will be mode.

Now locate the tag name for your model. Since I'm using the Battle Rifle my tag name would be "objects\weapons\rifle\battle_rifle\fp_battle_rifle\fp_battle_rifle".

Once you have located your tag name simply click "Swap Ident". Do this for you Animation tag that is nulled as well. Instead of choosing "mode" you will need to choose "jmad".

Before you click "Swap Ident" make sure you have it setup right.
If your tag contains:
objects\characters\masterchief\fp\weapons\whatever your weapon is, it's for a Spartan
objects\characters\dervish\fp\weapons\whatever your weapon is, it's for an Elite.

That is what my tag class and tag name looks like before I swap the ident. Remember I am using the Battle Rifle as a weapon and I am fixing this for an Elite, not a Spartan. After this you have fix your little problem and it should be fine. That is all you need to set and your weapon is good as new. It will end up looking like a normal Elite FP/animation FP would look like.

Addition Options

[Using the Save Feature]

If you really want to do things fast you can simply rebuild the weapon tag into your map, make sure you are getting the files from a MP map NOT a Campaign map.

What this does is just overwrites the weapon tag from another MP map and this fixes your FP Model and Animation problem, plus if you have the weapon in your map it doesn't add any bytes to your map. This is the .map file before and after. Didn't change. :]

Just select your weapon you want to fix/overwrite. I will be using the Battle Rifle for this yet again, but I will be extracting this from a MP map I already have, which is Relic.

You should notice that in your MP map the information you need to edit to fix it is already fixed, it's because this isn't a Campaign map and you can play as both bipeds in MP.

After selecting your weapon tag name, at the top right under Tools and Display you should see some numbers, which are the offset and size of the meta, indent, and type which is weap, now under these are three checkboxes labeled Recrusive, Parsed, and Sound.

Check off Recrusive and Parsed, this is always a must. Since you want sounds for your weapon I highly suggest you check off Sound. Once your done checking it off you should have it like this

Make a folder somewhere on your computer, I'm using my Desktop because it's easiest to access. I named my new folder "Battle Rifle" because that's what my weapon is. Now click the "Save" button, then choose your new folder to save it to.

Once done you should get a little message box saying "Done".

Go back to your map that has the BSP, my map is Sanctuary. Go to the weapon tag you have choosen in your [weap] tag. Check off exactly what you checked off before you had extracted the weapon files. In my case it's Recrusive, Parsed, and Sound, which I highly recommended. Now you may think all you have to do now is click Inject, but no you don't instead it's the button below labeled "Build".

Locate the .info file of your weapon. It will then overwrite your files you currently have within the map. If you look at the weapon tag now it is fixed and you are all set. It's that easy, and doesn't take long.

Once all done you will get a "Done" message.

[Using Multi Tag Transfer]
Before anything you must download -DeToX-'s .Info Combining Tool.
I would have made one but I figured why bother when D.X works fine. :p

Using the .Info Combining Toolis quite simple, all you need to do is save all the weapons you would want to inject into a map to fix all the weapons, so just go into Entity and one by one extract all the weapons you would like. Make sure you have Recrusive, Parsed, and Sounds check so they come out sounding good and weapon works.

Make sure when you are saving them to save to save it all in one Folder. I named my folder Magnum N Shottie because those are the two weapons I will be saving.

After you are done open up .Info Combining Tool. Go to File>Open Folder.

Locate the folder you have save your weapons at.

Once you open them you will notice a checkbox for every .info file you have. I only have one for the Magnum and one for the Shotgun.

You must have at least two .info tags checked in order to continue or else you will get this message.

Check off the .Info files you wish to combine and make sure it's over two. Once you have selected what you want click "Combine .Info's".

Now a Save Dialog will show up, locate a place you would like to save your new .info file. In this new .info file it has all the information from the previous .info files you have selected.

You will get a message in .Info Combining Tool saying "Done".

Now you can build the new .info file in your map. Make sure you still have your folder with all the information in it in the same spot/directory it was in before, if you don't you will get an error about Entity not being able to open something. Just open up the .info file in Entity like you would when you would normally click "Build".

Once it's all built into the map you will get the normal message... "Done".

Questions & Answers

Legend colors stops here.

Q: My FP Model shows but when I try to beatdown my gun doesn't move?
A: Make sure you don't have the Animation[0] or Animation[1] nulled out, leaving it null causes this problem. Once set to it's correct animation this problem is fixed.

Q: I did what your tutorial said when fixing the FP Model via swapping idents but my FP Model doesn't show up?
A: This does happen sometimes and when it does your better off just overwriting it, this adds a clean tag over the older one, and will most likely fix your problem.

Q: What if I don't like using Save feature or swapping idents...could I use drag and drop?
A: Yes you can, you are still overwriting the tag with a new one from a different MP map. I didn't add this to the tutorial simply because the drag and drop is the only thing you need to do.

Q: I overwrote my weapon tag using the Save feature, but my FP Model just doesn't show?
A: Make sure you didn't use a Campaign map to save a weapon tag, this will just put you in the same spot you were in before you had injected it.

Q: My animation and FP model works fine but when do anything to make noise, the sounds are silent.
A: Your best bet would be to overwrite the animation tag with a clean tag from another map.

Credits
Pokecancer, Brok3n Halo, and anyone else who helped in Entity.
-DeToX- for his .Info Combining Tool
Photobucket for uploading my 30 images or so. :p
The person who asked me to help you with this, insipered me to make this tutorial.
Sgt.Peppers

Snitch! Connoisseur

Post by Sgt.Peppers »

SG for the win.

Very very VERY nice and in-depth tutorial, it'll help a lot of people.
StalkingGrunt911

Sigma Pyre

Haha, thanks Sgt.Peppers. :D
DrXThirst

Connoisseur Foundry Pyre

Post by DrXThirst »

Nice tut man!
Halo4Ever

Connoisseur Wordewatician 250

Post by Halo4Ever »

My god, you seriously put some time into this tutorial, It is detailed down to every single little step 8) Very very nice, :wink:
"A hero needs not to speak, for when he is gone, the world will speak for him" - My favorite quote.
StalkingGrunt911

Sigma Pyre

Thanks guy. ;D