Application Request Thread

Discuss Halo 2 modding, progress on figuring things out, mapfiles...you know the drill. Cheating discussion not allowed.
JacksonCougAr

Recreator

Application Request Thread

Post by JacksonCougAr »

Got a mod? Current generation of tools not working or lacking a feature that you need to finish your mod? Post what you need here and I'll take what I see into consideration for my next tool.
Eaton

Enthraller

Re: Application Request Thread

Post by Eaton »

A proper...
Tag builder
Map rebuilder
Chunk cloner
Tag duplicator

That's all I want and need. If you can provide me with any of those tools, it may change my mind about quitting.
NotZachary82

Post by NotZachary82 »

Eaton wrote:A proper...
Tag builder
Map rebuilder
Chunk cloner
Tag duplicator
Eaton, most of those are already possible, you just have to know how to manipulate the apps.

But still, better chunk cloning should be available. It'd be nice.
grimdoomer

System Engineer

Post by grimdoomer »

Eaton wrote: Map rebuilder
Working on it.
AI Zones in MP | Ambiance | Gravemind Beta v1.1
Aumaan Anubis wrote:Grimdoomer. The first person ever to mod Halo 2 Vista.
JacksonCougAr

Recreator

Post by JacksonCougAr »

I can give you a map decompiler :D
Twinreaper

Literarian 50

Post by Twinreaper »

I think the two major apps that should be worked on in general to keep a lot of folks around is

1. Custom bsp injection (proper mesh and collision)
2. Custom biped with full custom animation. (animation i know was worked on briefly with MC model)

I'm trying to learn more about the collision subject as a whole, not just in the H2 realm, to help give me a better understanding of the ins and outs of it. Hopefully this will assist me in assisting others who are working on it.
WOW! Three years here, and I still haven't released any of my mods :oops:
kornman00

ONI New Age

Post by kornman00 »

Twinreaper wrote:I think the two major apps that should be worked on in general to keep a lot of folks around is

The problem is that you require updated Havok physics data when you change the bsp geometry. The convenient way to generate that data is to use the H2V tools to import a structure bsp and transfer the result physics and collision data from the generated scenario_structure_bsp tag, since the formats didn't change from xbox to vista, like the render geometry formats did.
xzodia

Translator Connoisseur Coagulator

Post by xzodia »

:o
kornman00 wrote:
Twinreaper wrote:I think the two major apps that should be worked on in general to keep a lot of folks around is

The problem is that you require updated Havok physics data when you change the bsp geometry. The convenient way to generate that data is to use the H2V tools to import a structure bsp and transfer the result physics and collision data from the generated scenario_structure_bsp tag, since the formats didn't change from xbox to vista, like the render geometry formats did.
Does that mean one could transfer the collision from a h2v map to h2x and inject the visual as a model?
Halo 2 Plugins | Lock-on To Just About Anything | My Sites | Snow Hog
Old Plugins you have, upgrade you must...
Always Maintain a High Quality-To-Crap Ratio.
kornman00

ONI New Age

Post by kornman00 »

xzodia wrote:Does that mean one could transfer the collision from a h2v map to h2x and inject the visual as a model?
You could easily transfer the physics and collision data (collision also contains havok related data btw) but I don't know see why you can't "inject" new render geometry into the bsp if you can do it with a render model. Unless the tools released can't work like that. In that case, I guess using a render model for the render geometry for the bsp would be a sufficient kludge
grimdoomer

System Engineer

Post by grimdoomer »

I still don't get why it didn't work when I tried it. I took your advice, which was to find the last bit of data I need to convert and convert it. But I never found anything that fit that description? Unless the BSP checksums actually do something? Otherwise I'm lost..
kibito87

Stylist Connoisseur Advisor Bloodhound
Droplet Articulatist 500

Post by kibito87 »

kornman00 wrote:
xzodia wrote:Does that mean one could transfer the collision from a h2v map to h2x and inject the visual as a model?
You could easily transfer the physics and collision data (collision also contains havok related data btw) but I don't know see why you can't "inject" new render geometry into the bsp if you can do it with a render model. Unless the tools released can't work like that. In that case, I guess using a render model for the render geometry for the bsp would be a sufficient kludge
Would it be easier to say...do what users did in the beginning with h1 Custom Edition and xbox where the user injected CE bsp's into xbox maps as scenery and just spawned everything including player spawns on that?

I'm just thinking along the lines of possibly making it easier to create custom bsp's till a proper way is found out completely. Unless it's closer than i'm guessing and what i'm stating would just further prolong the road block.

Now that I think of it, I guess if necessary...the Onyx app would do just fine for that.
NotZachary82

Post by NotZachary82 »

kibito87 wrote:Would it be easier to say...do what users did in the beginning with h1 Custom Edition and xbox where the user injected CE bsp's into xbox maps as scenery and just spawned everything including player spawns on that?
:? ... Onyx.
*Edit: I just read the smaller text, my mistake.