Quick question about why Tdata is not allowed to be modded..

Discuss Halo 2 modding, progress on figuring things out, mapfiles...you know the drill. Cheating discussion not allowed.
adolif

Literarian 100

Quick question about why Tdata is not allowed to be modded..

Post by adolif »

If a person mods Tdata maps and keeps them in the Tdata folder, it is against the Halmods rules according to everybody. But if a person mods Tdata for system link or split screen on an Xbox 360, and the person doesn't even have Xbox Live, then why is it not allowed? Is there another reason? Is it just for precautionary measures? This question is out of plain old curiousity, don't get any wrong ideas. I just don't seem to get it, really.
-Adolif
http://adomods.tk
I like pie.
nintendo9713

Wordewatician 250

Re: Quick question about why Tdata is not allowed to be modded..

Post by nintendo9713 »

They provide a patch to where you don't need your TDATA folder, the map is just added the the mainmenu.map and can be put in your maps directory. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe its to prevent live modding. If you don't have xbox live, and a modded xbox, there is no reason why you shouldn't just add them in your maps directory. Keeps everything neat.
DemonicSandwich

Advisor Connoisseur

Re: Quick question about why Tdata is not allowed to be modded..

Post by DemonicSandwich »

Yea, HM has always had a hard-on against TDATA modding but it's entirely because the online cheating that had resulted from it.

Although that rule is rather asinine now with the near nonexistent Halo 2 XBL.
Along with the fact that Bungie no longer bans you but rather automatically kicks you from a match after 20 seconds.

The rule, for the most part, has outlived it's purpose....but is still enforced to my knowledge.
AIM wrote:Demonic5andwich (6:10:10 PM): structure of a first person weapon animation:
Demonic5andwich (6:10:43 PM): mess, mess, maybe a node?, another header?! wtf!, more mess, tacos, more shit