Entity errors - have the latest .net framework - Please Help

Discuss Halo 2 modding, progress on figuring things out, mapfiles...you know the drill. Cheating discussion not allowed.
joe-mamma

Entity errors - have the latest .net framework - Please Help

Post by joe-mamma »

For some reason I can't get Entity to work (1.3 or UE1.5), the program loads and I can open a map but as soon as I try to edit any meta data I get this error (see attachment). I am using .net framework V3 and running WinXP Pro.

I'm new to this modding scene so I had been using dothalo, h2x, and insolence prior to finding out about Entity. Entity appears to be a really good program with a lot of features so I really would like to get it working.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe-mamma
Attachments
Entity Error.gif
Entity Error.gif (24.63 KiB) Viewed 1134 times
SpecOp44

Advisor Recreator Snitch! Critic

Post by SpecOp44 »

Are you opening clean maps?
JacksonCougAr

Recreator

Post by JacksonCougAr »

All I have to say is not all Entitys are created equal... :?
joe-mamma

Post by joe-mamma »

I tried both a modded map and a fresh map both give the same error. I found out about Entity because I modded lockout to have the jackal shield in it but it didn't work over system link properly so someone suggested I use the fix system link tool in Entity, I did that and it didn't give me any errors but as soon as I tried to modify anything else I get these errors.
JacksonCougAr

Recreator

Post by JacksonCougAr »

Oh; and this topic is in the wrong place...this should be a help-forums topic...
StalkingGrunt911

Recreator Connoisseur Acolyte Coroner
Sigma Pyre

Post by StalkingGrunt911 »

Use a clean map and redownload the plugin for the tag you are trying to get to that should do the trick.
joe-mamma

Post by joe-mamma »

If its just a faulty plugin then why wouldn't version 1.3 work either? Its in a seperate folder with its own plugins. I'll try what you suggested but I don't think its the plugin. I can't try it until I get home from work (in about 7 hours). Until then if anybody else has any ideas feel free to post them. Im still curious about the .net framework, could it maybe require a newer Java Runtime Environment?

PS Sorry about posting in the wrong place, if it has to get moved can someone do it and post where it was moved to.

Thanks,

Joe-mamma
joe-mamma

Post by joe-mamma »

Ok so I tried it with a fresh map straight from my H2 disc, still got the error. I then tried downloading the weap plugin again and it still gives me that same error. Can anyone verify for me that it is not my V3 .net framework that's doing this? Just go to Add/Remove Progams and see which microsoft .net framework you're running, it's 3.0 then I can at least eliminate that as a potential source.

[Edit: I tried uninstalling .net framework V3.0 and I still get the error so I guess its not that. I still think its something to do with some component of Windows that I'm either missing or its conflicting, I'm almost 100% sure its not Entity itself otherwise one of the versions I've tried should have worked.]

Thanks,

Joe-mamma
JUSTNUKEIT

Post by JUSTNUKEIT »

i get the exact same error sometimes. not all the time, but that probally means it's not ur .net frame work if i am having the same problem unless it is just a concidince.

oh and dount double post or u will get yelled at
-Solve your problems with weapons of mass destruction!!!
joe-mamma

Post by joe-mamma »

Ya sorry about the double post, next time I'll just edit the original. That is strange that you only get the error sometimes, if you get the error again could you look to see if the error is the same ie The ArgumentOutOfRangeException is for 'Start' and not something else?

Its really starting to drive me crazy because alot of the things I want to do seem like they are way easier in Entity, most of the Tuts I find are for Entity and if I ask questions about doing it in dothalo or h2x people just tell me to use Entity LOL. Hopefully I can get it figured out, when I get home I'm going to try and copy the full error message and then show it to the guy at work (and I'll post it here too) and hopefully some way or another I'll get it working.

Thanks

EDIT: Here is the full error text
See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: InvalidArgument=Value of '-1381308536' is not valid for 'start'.
Parameter name: start
at System.Windows.Forms.ComboBox.Select(Int32 start, Int32 length)
at System.Windows.Forms.ComboBox.set_SelectionLength(Int32 value)
at entity.Forms.Meta_Editor.ReflexiveControl.UpdateReflexiveSelectionBox(Boolean loadAllChunks) in C:\Users\Compaq_Owner\Documents\Visual Studio 2005\Projects\Entity Source\MetaEditor.cs\Meta Editor\ReflexiveControl.cs:line 545
at entity.Forms.Meta_Editor.ReflexiveControl.LoadMetaIntoControls(Int32 startingOffset, Int32 ioneUpReflexiveBlockOffset) in C:\Users\Compaq_Owner\Documents\Visual Studio 2005\Projects\Entity Source\MetaEditor.cs\Meta Editor\ReflexiveControl.cs:line 355
at entity.Forms.Meta_Editor.ReflexiveControl.LoadMetaIntoControlsForThisReflexive() in C:\Users\Compaq_Owner\Documents\Visual Studio 2005\Projects\Entity Source\MetaEditor.cs\Meta Editor\ReflexiveControl.cs:line 299
at entity.Forms.Meta_Editor.ReflexiveControl.ReflexiveLoader_Close(Object sender, EventArgs e) in C:\Users\Compaq_Owner\Documents\Visual Studio 2005\Projects\Entity Source\MetaEditor.cs\Meta Editor\ReflexiveControl.cs:line 284
at System.Windows.Forms.ComboBox.OnSelectedIndexChanged(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ComboBox.set_SelectedIndex(Int32 value)
at entity.Forms.Meta_Editor.ReflexiveControl.UpdateReflexiveSelectionBox(Boolean loadAllChunks) in C:\Users\Compaq_Owner\Documents\Visual Studio 2005\Projects\Entity Source\MetaEditor.cs\Meta Editor\ReflexiveControl.cs:line 542
at entity.Forms.Meta_Editor.ReflexiveControl.LoadMetaIntoControls(Int32 startingOffset, Int32 ioneUpReflexiveBlockOffset) in C:\Users\Compaq_Owner\Documents\Visual Studio 2005\Projects\Entity Source\MetaEditor.cs\Meta Editor\ReflexiveControl.cs:line 355
at entity.Forms.Meta_Editor.MetaEditor.ReloadMetaForSameTagType(Boolean reloadreflexive) in C:\Users\Compaq_Owner\Documents\Visual Studio 2005\Projects\Entity Source\MetaEditor.cs\Meta Editor\MetaEditor.cs:line 283
at entity.Forms.Meta_Editor.MetaEditor.loadControls(Int32 MapNumber) in C:\Users\Compaq_Owner\Documents\Visual Studio 2005\Projects\Entity Source\MetaEditor.cs\Meta Editor\MetaEditor.cs:line 74
at entity.MapForm.metaEditorToolStripMenuItem_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.RaiseEvent(Object key, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripMenuItem.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEventInteractive(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEvent(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.42 (RTM.050727-4200)
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
entity
Assembly Version: 1.0.2590.32572
Win32 Version: 1.0.2590.32572
CodeBase: file:///P:/Halo%202%20Modding%20Tools/Entity%201.5/entity.exe
System.Windows.Forms
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Drawing
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
HaloMap
Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
CodeBase: file:///P:/Halo%202%20Modding%20Tools/Entity%201.5/HaloMap.DLL
MetaEditor.cs
Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
CodeBase: file:///P:/Halo%202%20Modding%20Tools/Entity%201.5/MetaEditor.cs.DLL
System.Xml
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
BugReporter
Assembly Version: 1.0.2368.29076
CodeBase: file:///P:/Halo%202%20Modding%20Tools/Entity%201.5/Libraries/BugReporter.dll
Microsoft.VisualBasic
Assembly Version: 8.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 8.0.50727.42 (RTM.050727-4200)
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/8.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll
Model Resizer
Assembly Version: 1.0.2372.23755
CodeBase: file:///P:/Halo%202%20Modding%20Tools/Entity%201.5/Libraries/Model%20Resizer.dll
XML Plugin Reader
Assembly Version: 1.0.2372.30415
CodeBase: file:///P:/Halo%202%20Modding%20Tools/Entity%201.5/Libraries/XML%20Plugin%20Reader.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

UPDATE: I tried uninstalling all of my .net frameworks and then reinstalling them and I still get this error.

UPDATE: I've discovered that the problem seems to be solely with the reflexive combo boxes, if I go into Tools>Show and uncheck them I don't get the error. I still need to find a fix for this, it seems to be the particular control library they used for that combobox.

UPDATE: I think I've fixed it, I downloaded the newest metaeditor V1.25
http://forums.halomods.com/viewtopic.php?t=47441
However if I installed all 3 files included in the rar archive it wouldn't even let me load a map, I'd get an error. I replaced the files with the original ones then only copied over the metaeditor.cs.dll file and now it seems to be working. Thanks Tyckoman for telling me about the new editor.
Redspike

Post by Redspike »

Hey i had the same error. this fixes it. thanks a lot !
this should be stickyed and the solution should be put in the first post. thanx again,.!