Cel-Shading, a terrible but needed time.

Discuss stuff related to HaloCE (for modding, go to the HEK General forum).
preston566

Wordewatician 250

Cel-Shading, a terrible but needed time.

Post by preston566 »

Now, I can do this in other apps/games, with certain restrictions. Now I want to do this in Halo, it just seems fun. I found
a tutorial, but I cannot make any sense out of it. It does not use Multi-subobject materials, rather just colors a material ball.
Now please, I HAVE to use a Multi-Subobject material, I have about 9 textures that all have to go into this Multi-Subobject material, but the way this is written I just cannot make sense of it. Can someone either A. Post a better tutorial B. Decipher this for me in a way that Multi-Subobject materials are used. Here's the link to the download:

http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=2564

Here's what the tutorial says for those who don't want to download to see the pictures, they show what I mean. But here are the words:

First of all, there are two methods to create a cel shaded object. The second is just like the first, except it has an outline and is slightly more complex (but not much). For just the basic shading (No outline), only go to step 7.

1.) You will need an object to work with. You can use anything you like, but for this tutorial I will use a simple Teapot.

2.) Next, apply your texture(s) that you will be using. Each one will have to be modified to look cel-shaded, so less is better if you’re short on time.

3.) I’ll just be applying a simple one-colour texture by changing the Diffuse without applying a bitmap (you can use whatever you like.) Note – If you use a bitmap or anything else, you will be asked to preserve the old map and a sub-map or replace it when you are ready to make it cel-shaded. You will have to choose Keep Old Map as Sub-Material. Otherwise it will not work. I prefer to use a bitmap when I can, as it makes it easier when it comes to configuring the effect.

4.) Now click the square to the right of Diffuse (not the colour box). From the list displayed, choose Falloff.

5.) If you are using a Bitmap, the colours in the parameters should stay black and white in their current positions. However, the Falloff type will have to be changed to Shadow / Light.

6.) This may make it look weird for the moment being, but it will be fixed in about 3.2 seconds. Scroll down until you see the Mix Curve area. You will have to create points by clicking on the Add Point button, which looks like a star thingy with a red line through it. Make the Mix Curve look like this:

7.) If you render now, it should look fairly cel-shaded. You can tweak the Mix Curve; it doesn’t have to be exact, and experimenting often leads to great discoveries! Well, sometimes, but it could make it look really cool.

8.) Aha! 8.) looks like a dorky smiley complete with glasses and a zit!

9.) Now it’s time for the outline. I’m going to add a plane beneath my Teapot so the outline can be clearly seen.

10.) To add the outline, right-click on your object and select Clone. Be sure to Copy and not create an Instance, as that will generate some problems. Now, you will need to select your clone (do NOT move it whatsoever) and go to the Modifier Pulldown Menu. From there, select Push. However much you Push it outward will be how thick your outline is.

11.) Now Flip the Clone either by converting it to an Editable Mesh and selecting the object and hitting “Flip” or by going through Modifier List>Normal>Flip Normals. Next, create a purely black material. Apply that to the Clone. Now you are done and ready to render. Note – When you render, make sure that 2-Sided is OFF. If it is on, your object will be pure black.

Please, someone help.
Thanks,
~Preston556
Please, If you need religious help, PM me. God Will Wait For You.
I still cannot feel. The problem, is ireversable. :cry:
darklee160
Readers Club

Re: Cel-Shading, a terrible but needed time.

Post by darklee160 »

ok then what do i do
preston566

Wordewatician 250

Re: Cel-Shading, a terrible but needed time.

Post by preston566 »

This: Can someone either A. Post a better tutorial B. Decipher this for me in a way that Multi-Subobject materials are used.
Please, If you need religious help, PM me. God Will Wait For You.
I still cannot feel. The problem, is ireversable. :cry: