HSE: What happened to it?

Discuss stuff related to HaloCE (for modding, go to the HEK General forum).
Cuban Legend

Post by Cuban Legend »

Thanks for sending it to me (you know who you are).

I was trying to install this on my SErver and its runnign Window XP SP2...

Here is the error i get:

OH NO, i was SO CLOSE to installing! :( What can i do to fix this? Please Help!
supersniper

Post by supersniper »

Ignore the error I had the same one. Just click ignore. I checked where I installed it too and the file was there so don't worry about it.
Cuban Legend

Post by Cuban Legend »

I have set up the Command and server settings with the Shell and now i cant get the Daemon to start correctly, i run the daemon, it starts the halo server correctly (i can join it and otehrs can join it) but...

The Daemon is frozen like this:

...and then this happens if i click on the forzen Daemon Window:

Please, any help with this? Fallen_Angel, can you help? Anyone?

I think I'm really close to getting it to work.
fallen_angel

Post by fallen_angel »

If I still had the source code, I could probably help you out, but it's long been lost...

But... good news...
Tonight I've started planning a new version of HSE, written in .NET, as a windows service.

Planned features so far:
- Kick, Ban, etc. voting
- Map voting
- Map Cycle
- Admins identified by CD hash
- Stats Tracking
- HTTP-based management console
- Plugin-based architecture

If you know of anyone who might be interested in helping out, by all means point them in my direction.

Obviously, I'm going to require beta testers as well, so if you know of anyone willing to try this on their server, let me know.

Website coming soon...
~~~~
FallenAngel
~~~~
supersniper

Post by supersniper »

Omega/Geomitar --> http://goemitar.wordpress.com/category/projects/imega/

The whole VA (Vivid Abstractions) Team

SilentK, Patrickssj6, Omega and many others that are amazing with scripting and coding. --> http://www.vivid-abstractions.net/forum/ Need to register to see the forums.

Hope this helps.

Ok I have HSE all ready and set but I am still wondering how to activate it. Do I type in commands in the server with rcon or do I use the chat box. Also is there a list of commands anywhere for HSE?

PS: Can I haz beta spot? I run a Dedi on Halo CE 1.08 ! Supersniper's Blast from the Past.
Last edited by supersniper on Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[CL]9mm-Man

Wordewatician 500

Post by [CL]9mm-Man »

Howdy, I'm Limited

If you need any help let me know, I part of VA, but not officially part of VA. >_>
Your image cannot exceed 400x200 or 50kb
Kaishounashi

Post by Kaishounashi »

fallen_angel wrote:
Tonight I've started planning a new version of HSE, written in .NET, as a windows service.
Cool. I hope this really develops into something grand. A question though: How would it being a service affect people who rent servers? Most of the gaming companies just set up the dedicated server executable to run as a service AFAIK. Maybe i'm jumping the gun here and asking a bit too early, but i'm just curious. Thanks.
Corvette19

Snitch!

Post by Corvette19 »

I would love to see a new HSE :D
You have made my day =D
Xfire = corvette19
WaeV wrote:Mess around with stuff, make exceptions, get messy! Do something we've never seen before.
Cuban Legend

Post by Cuban Legend »

fallen_angel wrote:If I still had the source code, I could probably help you out, but it's long been lost...

But... good news...

Planned features so far:
- Kick, Ban, etc. voting
- Map voting
- Map Cycle
- Admins identified by CD hash
- Stats Tracking
- HTTP-based management console
- Plugin-based architecture

If you know of anyone who might be interested in helping out, by all means point them in my direction.

Obviously, I'm going to require beta testers as well, so if you know of anyone willing to try this on their server, let me know.

Website coming soon...
Well that is certainly GREAT to hear! =D

I cant wait for this to start fleshing out in the beta stages., (as it is now, but better).

I would like to officially volunteer my CE 1.08 Server for this. I am currently running Termy's SErver App.

Take a look at some of its current features, like the ping kicker and ip ban, I've found them very useful alredy! also...

I would like to suggest a TK Kick instead of ban feature & one last thing, possibly a string of lines that the server will spam every x number of seconds feature for the new HSE if possible? (its use to admins would be great for ppl who don't even touch F2 or to announce events and things)...

Hope everything goes well! Btw, if anyone can help or take a look at this: Points to my previous post.

I get that error about 30 seconds after the daemon stars and stars the server, the server can still run, but the daemon locks up and crashes.

-Great to hear some good news at least, Fallen_angle, I hope progress goes smoothly with HSE!
formlesstree4

Post by formlesstree4 »

fallen_angel, I added you on msn. I'd like to talk about the .net stuff...I'm pretty decent with it..depending on the language you have chosen :)
fallen_angel

Post by fallen_angel »

woah - I diddn't think there'd be this much interest!

Any feature requests, etc, should go to:
[email protected]

I'll be blogging about how HSE is progressing at:
http://www.daniel-ross.com/phiCode

Cuban Legend - I cant remember how to fix that error - if you have VB6 installed, put that error code into the 'error lookup' tool, and thanks for the offer of a beta testing server. It's much appreciated.

supersniper - I'll check VA out, thanks
and, you use the in-game chat. try stuff like /vote map [mapname] and /vote yes, etc.

[CL]9mm-Man - Thanks for the offer. I'll be in touch when I've got some stuff planned.

Kaishounashi - one of the main gripes with the previous version was that it was a simple EXE, that required the windows shell to be loaded. Writing HSE2 as a service will allow it to be installed and run on 'headless' machines (ie. the majority of hosted servers). It'll still run fine on normal desktop PCs as well.

formlesstree4 - The core of HSE2 will be C#, but will be based on plugins, so all you'll have to do is reference an external DLL and implement a few interfaces to make a new plugin, so any .NET language will do!

My eventual idea is that I'll just write the core, and have other interested parties create the actual functionality they require. For example, if you wanted Ping Kicking, you could just write a plugin to do that.

Also, I'm currently working in Italy for a few months, and will have to grab my Halo disc and serial number next time I'm home (few weeks), so theres not going to be an awful lot to look at for a good two months or so.

Anyway, it's early days yet.
~~~~
FallenAngel
~~~~
formlesstree4

Post by formlesstree4 »

formlesstree4 - The core of HSE2 will be C#, but will be based on plugins, so all you'll have to do is reference an external DLL and implement a few interfaces to make a new plugin, so any .NET language will do!
Cool to know, I'd still like to talk to you on msn about a few things....

EDIT: I can also do beta testing...my pc has enough resources to let me host a dedi and play on it at the same time, just offering like Cuban Legend did.
Cuban Legend

Post by Cuban Legend »

formlesstree4 wrote:
Cool to know, I'd still like to talk to you on msn about a few things....

EDIT: I can also do beta testing...my pc has enough resources to let me host a dedi and play on it at the same time, just offering like Cuban Legend did.
Protip: I don't think its possible to run a Dedi on a PC and play on the Dedi on the game PC, it wont show up on the GameSpy Server List if you try to find the server with the pc your hosting the game with.

And btw my server is actually running in a different Dedicated server box on my internet, and its running right now with 16 people max, and the CPU load is only 60% w/ 260 mb ram usage (which is good , considers its a 2.6 GHz Celeron with 512mb ram).

-Also, Fallen_Angel : I can install VB6 ( i know nothing about it) so what would putting that error in the 'error lookup' tool do exactly?

Does anyone have HSE working correctly on their server? Or am i the only one getting this error? What errors are others getting?
Cuban Legend

Post by Cuban Legend »

whoops dp.. finger slipped.
fallen_angel

Post by fallen_angel »

As far as running a HaloCE Ded and Client on the same machine goes, I think it's possible. Just start the ded and then manually connect to 127.0.0.1 in the client.

Failing that, manually add yourself another IP address and run the ded one one and the client on the other.

or.. if your PC is fast enough, run the ded in VMWare (my prefered solution)

Cuban Legend -the Error Lookup tool will give you an english expanantion of the error code, which occasionally is useful. Only occasionally though...

EDIT:Scratch that... I just went and did some digging, and I think its a WinSock error. Probably not finding the Halo-se.co.uk server (as it's not around anymore), so it's throwing a hissyfit.

You *might* be able to sort it by adding an entry to your HOSTS file, pointing to another server with the player blacklists file on it. If I get time, I'll do some packet sniffing on the client to see where it actually looks for the file.
~~~~
FallenAngel
~~~~
Kaishounashi

Post by Kaishounashi »

ignore this. duplicate of post below. any way to delete?
Last edited by Kaishounashi on Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kaishounashi

Post by Kaishounashi »

Cuban Legend wrote:Protip: I don't think its possible to run a Dedi on a PC and play on the Dedi on the game PC, it wont show up on the GameSpy Server List if you try to find the server with the pc your hosting the game with.
You can run the dedicated server on the same box you play on simultaneously. It's not recommended, but you can. You either have to change the port the server runs on or the one your game client runs. By default, Halo uses ports 2302 (server/host port) and 2303 (client port). According to this MS knowledge base article, this is what the ports do:

• 2302 (User Datagram Protocol (UDP)) - Game host listens on this port.
• 2303 (UDP) - Game client connects to host through this port.

Halo also uses port 80 to check for updates.

Anyhow, if you want to be able to change the default port your dedicated server uses, you have to specify this in the paramters you feed your server when you start it up. This can be done via a batch file, just add the following to the startup parameters on your server:

-port 2312 -cport 2313

If you'd rather change the ports on your client, you can do this by adding the above parameters to your shortcut for halo (right click on shortcut, choose 'properties' , and add them at the end of the 'target' line). I believe you can also do this ingame though, just go to 'Settings' -> Network Setup .

If you want some indepth knowledge about other Halo server parameters, check out this guide on the gearbox forums. It's what I originally used when I was playing around with a dedi at work. :D

As for it not showing up on the gamespy master server list, just make sure you have sv_public inside your init file set to true . Also, if you're behind a router, you just gotta configure it correctly. Check out this link from Portforward.com. Click on your router model and it'll show you how to forward your halo ports (by default it shows you how to forward the default ports, so substitute accordingly!).
fallen_angel wrote:

Website coming soon...
Don't know if this offer still stands, but I have a dedicated server I rent from gameservers available as well if you still need people. My xfire is - Kaishounashi
supersniper

Post by supersniper »

Guy's easier way. Just use the default ports for Halo Dedi and change your ingame ports to 2303 and 2304...

I have a guide on Halo dedi's I'll post a link to it it's ohosted on halomaps.

IT has everything you need to know.

http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=3931

Also I tried almost every command I could think of. Are you sure you don't have a command list lying around somewhere on your computer...

Also when the beta is out xfire me supersniper1.
formlesstree4

Post by formlesstree4 »

Protip: I don't think its possible to run a Dedi on a PC and play on the Dedi on the game PC, it wont show up on the GameSpy Server List if you try to find the server with the pc your hosting the game with.
Actually it will, you just need to change your ports on the dedicated server. For example, when I run my dedicated server, it is usually on port 1111, while my halo ce/pc games are on 2303. My client runs on 2302, so there are no port conflicts :D, which means everything works fine
fallen_angel

Post by fallen_angel »

That really is one hell of a lot easier than my method :p
~~~~
FallenAngel
~~~~