HEK: Custom Weapon Creation

Discuss HaloCE modding with the HEK tools here. For help, go to the Help Desk forum above.
axeman

Articulatist 50

HEK: Custom Weapon Creation

Post by axeman »

Here is a very brief tutorial on how to make a custom weapon tag (yea its a nice thing to know so Ill let you all in on the secret), be warned I have written this expecting you to have some knowledge on making custom scenery/altering tags ect ect and this is in no way the concrete way to do it, there are other ways but this is about the quickest way I know.

Pre-Tool stuff
--------------

1 . Create your weapon in 3dmax/gmax (dont forget your frame, I just use frame gun) and use an example weapon as your template, for example the pistol.

2 . open up the gbx model of the pistol and copy out all the markers and put them where you roughly think they would be on your model.(a marker is basically a small box linked to the frame, name your box with a # at the begining, eg #trigger)

3 . Goto your Halo CE root folder and open up the folder called 'Data', inside Data make a folder called 'Weapons', inside Weapons create another folder named 'Gun' and within the 'Gun' folder create these folders - bitmaps, shaders, models, physics, fp and animations. Export your model to your weapons\gun\models folder as gun.jms and then change your materials group name to collision geometry and export it to your physics folder.

4 . The fp folder is for your first person model so within that folder create folders called models, physics and animations, usually the first person model is slightly smaller than the third person model so scale accordingly, (you may have to do alot of messing about to get your first person model in the right place).

5 . Assuming you have moved and scaled your model to the right size and position you should export your model to the fp/models folder, then again in physics (dont forget to rename your material group to collision geometry).

6 . I wont go into the inns and outs of animations so you'll have to do what you can, but I will use the pistols animations for your gun.

Tool stuff
----------

1 . Open tool and make your bitmaps, gbx models and collision models using the tool commands as below.

2 . tool.exe bitmaps weapons\gun\bitmaps - this will create your bitmaps in a new folder called 'Gun' inside the tags folder

3 . tool.exe model weapons\gun (this may take a few seconds depending on how detailed your gun is and will make your shaders so run it again if it makes your shaders) - this will amke a gbx model of your gun.

4 . tool.exe collision-geometry weapons\gun (this will take no time at all) - this will create your collision model.

5 . Do the above steps again for the first-person model (dont forget its weapons\gun\fp).

Guerilla stuff
--------------

1 . Start guerilla and open the Pistol.weapon tag from tags\weapons\pistol folder, right you will notice that there is an animation graph for pistol and you dont have one!!!, but dont worry coz you dont need it.

2 . Change the Pistol's gbx model to your gun gbx model, do the same for the collision model and delete the animation graph, scroll down to the 'Interface' section and change the Pistols fp gbx model for your gun fp gbx model.

3 . Save the atered Pistol.weapon tag in your 'Gun' folder (in tags not data) as Gun.weapon, you may have to set the bounding radius to get your weapon to not be see-through or walk-through.

4 . Create a new 'item_collection' tag and point it to your gun.weapon tag (dont worry about the weapon respawn because it is goverened in sapien for multiplayer) and then save it in the item collection folder as Gun.item_collection

5 . Open the 'Globals' tag, scroll down to 'weapons list (update)' and add a weapon space, change the tag type to weapon and add your Gun.Item_collection to the weapon list.

6 . Set your shaders bitmaps (you should know how to do this)

Sapien stuff
------------

1 . All that remains to do is index your model within sapien (little blockhead-man symbol) and place it in your map, you will more than likely have to mess about with your model to get it right which means going through the tool process everytime you need to move/scale your gun, but its worth it because you will have an ADDITIONAL weapon to place in your maps not an overwrite.

I hope this tutorial will help people to get more custom weapons into the game, my next tutorial is on how to import custom vehicles into the game.;)

by
The Axeman.

www.armyofassassins.com
Last edited by axeman on Tue Jun 29, 2004 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Specter

Post by Specter »

eh....could you go into more detail on the part about fp models?
axeman

Articulatist 50

Post by axeman »

Ive left out alot of details for quickness but the fp model is just the tp model scaled and moved, I use all the markers for the fp model in the tp model so I only ever have to edit one weapon not two and I move it inside the reference frame (dont ask me why but its somewhere around there if you are using another weapons animation graph)

If you go into detail about where your problem lies then mabey I can explain it a bit clearer. ;)
philipks

Post by philipks »

ive been waiting eagerly for someone to make this tutorial. but, of course i have a question:
how are you opening the gbxmodel? are you copying things out of guerilla, or are you somehow importing the model into max?

and one completely unjustified request: please make (or commision someone else to make) a videotut for this.

and and i cant wait for the vehicle tutorial! release it now! i command you! please?
akmassassin

Post by akmassassin »

thx dude this will help me a lot in my map!
akmassassin

Post by akmassassin »

hey i created a new gun but when i try it in the game it dosent shoot!! it says no ammo. this sould be a realy stupid little thing to change but im not very familiar with tags... can anyone help me?
luquis

Post by luquis »

my weapon just doesn't appear in game
therealtribe

Post by therealtribe »

ok i can get my guns and stuff into halo and i can get a fp model to work howeva my problem is that i cant move the fp model to fit the mc's hands. so if can help me that would be great. also custom anamations anybody know how to do them?
axeman

Articulatist 50

Post by axeman »

You will have to set the bounding radius to about 2-3 for medium sized weapons and increase it for larger weapons, also put 10-20 in the render bounding radius.

Like I said you may have to move your weapon around in max to get it positioned right, and dont forget to position your #groundpoint so your weapon is on its uppermost face.
Valcoramizer

Post by Valcoramizer »

One thing you forgot to mention, when you create the new item collection, you have to set the weight to 100 or it will not work. Hopefully this will help anyone with the same problems i had.
axeman

Articulatist 50

Post by axeman »

Yea that helps also :roll: , dont want floaty guns :D , thx for pointing that out. :wink:, id assumed that everybody would realise that the weapon had to weigh something.
SilverStone641

Slightly noobish questions

Post by SilverStone641 »

First, after a file has been coded into .map can it be modified in Sapien etc. or does it have to be through the HEK?

Second, how would i go about getting weapon models for .max? that way i can copy skins or add on to exist weapon configs

thanks

}{Don't hate me cause i ask noobish questions! you were a noob too!}{
IWTPH2

Articulatist 500

Post by IWTPH2 »

One question, when you rename the material group to collision geometry, is the material group name in the material editor right next to hte standard button?
axeman

Articulatist 50

Post by axeman »

forget anything about changing the materials for your collision geometry model, I have found out that it does'nt matter, you just make your model and save it once in models for your gbx and then once in physics for your collision geometry, no need to change any of the materials or re-name anything. :wink:
ShadowFlood

Post by ShadowFlood »

thankz man! now i can make the coolest weapons in my maps.
halo mods rock

Post by halo mods rock »

okImageImage
Infern0

Designer Pyre

Post by Infern0 »

heh, why can we use signatures?! coolio! :mrgreen:
pandorrox

Post by pandorrox »

can u give me a like for the 3d max plz or gmax plz i cant find it
Danke

Wordewatician 500 Mad Hatter

Post by Danke »

discreet.com

If you're looking for full version 3dsmax, forget about it.
SilverStone641 wrote:First, after a file has been coded into .map can it be modified in Sapien etc. or does it have to be through the HEK?

Second, how would i go about getting weapon models for .max? that way i can copy skins or add on to exist weapon configs
Sapien will only open the .scenario file of a map, so no, you cannot edit a compiled map. BTW: Sapien is part of the HEK, the title of this forum are the HEK tools.

You can look around in the files forums under tags or possibly here too. Files forums are at files.halomods.com. Otherwise you'll have to make them yourself. If you meant models to put into 3dsmax and make into usable HEK tags, there's a few. Turbosquid (turbosquid.com I think it is) and 3d cafe are okay. I think turbosquid is better though. People here aren't too friendly with people who use those, just make sure you give credit to avoid that. Someone recently made a bumpercar from turbosquid into a vehicle. Everyone seemed fine with it, but no one could really download it, with it's huge file size. But go ahead and give it a go.
pandorrox

Post by pandorrox »

ok at least i tryed