i HATE tool.

Discuss HaloCE modding with the HEK tools here. For help, go to the Help Desk forum above.
willtheoct

Articulatist 50

i HATE tool.

Post by willtheoct »

i really want to mod CE but god damn tool won't work.

its not well covered in the HEK tutorial.

i dont have a working command prompt, so i just made an MS-DOS batch file, which is the same except when you open it, it executes the stuff right away.

anyway, in the batch file is:
tool.exe structure levels\test\kakariko kakariko

inside my program files folder i have:
Halo Custom Edition\data\levels\test\kakariko\models

and in it is kakariko.jms

and i run the batch file....

and cmd pops up... and then displays the useless text for about 1 second, then the stuff i actually need to know appears for about 1/8th of a second then cmd closes, so i cant get a screenie. what i did happen to get, though, was:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Halo Custom Edition>tool.exe structure levels\test\kakariko\kakariko kakariko
Couldn't read map file './toolbeta.map'

wtf...... just to make you scroll down more text, im gonna tell a story...

i hunted for 2 whole days on finding tools to extract levels from Zelda OOT. the tool i found exported to VRML 2.0. NOTHING imports version 2. i mean, why the hell would you make that? 3ds max is at school, and im not gonna pay for it. so, i waited 3 days for tech class so i could export to OBJ and 3ds. then, i spent a whole afternoon taking screenies in Nemu 64, and pasting them in GM, which only exported to Gifs, so i then opened them all in Gimp, and exported to jpeg, where Gmax could open it. but then, gmax could only have one vertex per texture. nooo, you couldnt have two TRIANGULAR vertexes holding one simple SQUARE. fuck it. then, bluestreak didnt work. why? who knows... i contacted deadhamster and he said chimp worked best, so i had to hunt for it. then, chimp had alot of problems. after they were fixed, the only way i could get a jms was to open the listener and copy every single bit into notepad, and there seems to be a certain limit on what you can copy to your clipboard in win2k... so i spent a good half hour copying 10 lines at a time. then, i read through the HEK tutorials. so confusing... i finally got to tool, and set the right directory, and NOW IT DOESNT WORK!!!

i swear to god, im gonna get miyamoto and bill together in a room, and put carbon monoxide(and lots of it!) into the vents, and watch. even though they may not be wholly responsible.
KiwiBird

Post by KiwiBird »

Look for a text document labeled "debug.txt" in your Halo CE root directory and copy whatever it's last output was onto here. Also, to make it so you can see what the batch is doing, add "pause" to the end of the batch on a separate line.
SuperSnorky

Post by SuperSnorky »

You can also get Tool ++. If you do put it in your CE directory.
TomClancey

Post by TomClancey »

How could your computer not having a working Command Prompt? :|

As for your predicament, I have no clue. Did you try creating a batch file with 'command.com' inside? Then, running tool from that? (With your new batch in the Halo CE root directory, of coarse.)
electrospyke

Post by electrospyke »

Hmm my tool says the same thing. BUT it does start sorta. It will display all of the commands and stuff when I type "tool" in cmd. To get there I just made a cmd shortcut, pasted it in the halo CE directory, and told it to start in the CE directory. (Right click on the icon, click properties, and set the "start in" location to "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Halo Custom Edition". That is how I got it to work, but I don't know why it says "couldn't read mapfile "./toolbeta.map. I haven't gotten into CE modding yet, I am still researching, but I don't know if this will affect whether tool works or not. And I REALLY don't want a non-working tool.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and you will want to click the CMD icon inside the CE directory, and type the command "tool" to get it started.

EDIT: Oh, and here is my debug.txt. This isn't the whole thing, but the rest is just a repetition of this.

12.25.07 00:21:04 guerilla pc 01.00.00.0609 ----------------------------------------------
12.25.07 00:21:04 reference function: _write_to_error_file
12.25.07 00:21:04 reference address: 4011a4
12.25.07 00:21:04 Couldn't read map file './guerillabeta.map'

12.25.07 00:25:10 tool pc 01.00.00.0609 ----------------------------------------------
12.25.07 00:25:10 reference function: _write_to_error_file
12.25.07 00:25:10 reference address: 42ca20
12.25.07 00:25:10 Couldn't read map file './toolbeta.map'
willtheoct

Articulatist 50

Post by willtheoct »

sorry for not checking up on this, but i got the debug stuff. and i got the full message.

@kiwibird: debug.txt:

Code: Select all

02.21.08 20:00:29  tool pc 01.00.00.0609 ----------------------------------------------
02.21.08 20:00:29  reference function: _write_to_error_file
02.21.08 20:00:29  reference address: 42ca20
02.21.08 20:00:29  Couldn't read map file './toolbeta.map'
i added pause on a seperate line like you said, and here's what it said:

Couldn't read map file './toolbeta.map'
building intermediate geometry...
###ERROR reached end of file during parse.

@electrospyke: there is no CMD icon.

@tomclancey: it works, but it always starts off in C\documents and setting\user\desktop
instead of the drive itself. and since cmd is kinda confusing, i just open notepad and write stuff and save it as a batch file.

im holding Bill and miyamoto hostage, and if i dont finish this mod soon, what i said before still holds true.
TomClancey

Post by TomClancey »

Did you try what I suggested?

(Making a batch file with 'command.com' in it, and put it in the Halo CE Root directory.)
Covenant_Engineer

Wordewatician 50

Post by Covenant_Engineer »

I had a similar problem like I would click on tool but it will never load it liekc lose on me so I got HEK+ toolex which works just like tool only without all the typing.... idk if your HEK+ has the toolex its under one of the dropdown menus at top if not you can download it on halomaps.org

Hope that helps!
CreationX

Post by CreationX »

or just keep using batch files and just add
"pause"(without quotes)
at the end of the batch file...