HEK: How To Make Custom Vehicles

Discuss HaloCE modding with the HEK tools here. For help, go to the Help Desk forum above.
axeman

Articulatist 50

HEK: How To Make Custom Vehicles

Post by axeman »

Right here is how you get a custom vehicle to work in your maps, this is the most basic of ways but can be expanded upon. We will be creating a flying vehicle but you can apply the theory to any vehicle type just as long as it is set up correctly.

STEP 1 : Create your custom Folders

Create some new folders in your haloCE directory, these will be in bold.

go into C:/program files/microsoft games/halo custom edition/data/
-make these folders->>Vehicles/ufo
you will have a directory like this.
C:/program files/microsoft games/halo custom edition/data/Vehicles/ufo

Within the ufo folder create these folders Models, Physics, Animations and Bitmaps

When you have added all the folders you can then go into 3dmax or gmax and create your spaceship (or whatever), first thing you will have to do is save the bitmaps you use for your model in the ufo/bitmaps folder, when you have your finished model save it as a 3dmax file in a folder of your choice(just in case you mess it up later).

STEP 2 : How to add markers to your model

Next you must add markers to your vehicle, because we are going to overwrite the banshee we will need to open guerilla and then open the banshee_mp.vehicle tag, then open the gbx model within the banshee tag(right at the top), within the gbx model scroll down until you see the second markers submenu (about half-way down), click the rolldown menu within the markers (first should be cockpit light) and copy all the names EXACTLY as they are to a notepad or piece of paper.

Next go back to your 3dmax model and create a box about 2x2x2 pixels (any size will do but small is better) and name it #cockpit light, you must do this for all of the markers you have written down, when you have made all the markers on the list place them on your image where you think they would be (eg. place the #cockpit light within the cockpit and primary trigger is for the gun ect).

When all the markers are in place link your vehicle to the frame (call it frame ufo for ease) and link the markers to your vehicle (this is'nt the proper way to do it but we will not have any real animations) then save it as a 3dmax file (save all the time, it will keep you ahead of the game). Use the Exporter plugin to save your model as a .JMS file and save it in the data/vehicles/ufo/models as ufo.

STEP 3 : Exporting the model
Next you have to convert the model into a gbx model and to do this you will have to open tool and type.

Tool.exe model vehicles\ufo

You may find on the first run of the tool.exe model command that you will be asked for shader types, (these are just your materials from 3dmax so most of them will probably be shader enviorment) just pick shader types for each and run the tool.exe model command again.
If all goes smoothly you should have a new folder within your tags/vehicles folder as ufo and within that there should be a gbx model called ufo, if all that is correct we will quickly save an anim so your vehicle will work, to do this just go back into 3dmax and export the model to Animations as a .JMA file. (I know there is no animation but you will need an animation graph that fits your vehicle)

STEP 4 : Creating and exporting the collision geometry

For the collision geometry we will need to find out what markers you will need (the collision geometry needs different markers to do with physics) first goto guerilla and open the Banshee's Physics and follow step 2 (but for the collision geometry use the names in the mass point rolldown).go back to 3dmax and re-name all the markers you had for the gbx model in the names of the markers from the banshee physics (you may have to add/delete some markers), again place these where you think they will go. Link these to your model and open the materials menu (M is the shortcut) and change the name of your material group to collision geometry. Dont forget to Save your 3dmax CG model (collision geometry).

Next you must export the model into the Physics folder within your ufo folder as a JMS file.

STEP 5 : Converting and creating Animation/collision geometry and physics tags

You must now open tool and type in the following commands..

(to create your bitmaps)
Tool.exe bitmaps vehicles\ufo\bitmaps

(to create your animations)
Tool.exe animations vehicles\ufo

(to create your collision geometry)*missed this one first time sorry
Tool.exe collision-geometry vehicles\ufo

(to create your physics, this is very important)
Tool.exe physics vehicles\ufo

To check whether you have done it correctly you should goto your Tags/vehicles/ufo folder and there should be 4 files and a bitmap folder, if you are missing any of these you may have to do it again.
(Note: now is a good time to set up your shaders)

STEP 6 : Setting up your anim,collision-geometry and physics tags

First you must open the Original Banshee_mp.vehicle and save it in your tags/vehicles/ufo (leave it named Banshee), next open it up and replace the gbx,animation graph,collision geometry and physics tags with your corresponding ufo tags.
Next open the original banshee anim Banshee.animation_graph and your custom anim ufo.animation_graph then add all the parameters that are in the banshee anim to your ufo anim (leave the actual animations as NONE) and save your anim tag.
Next you must set your physics to work properly, to do this you must do pretty much the same as the anims but you must not change any of the vehicles actual physics.

These are what you must change in the first menu.

radius to -1 , moment scale to 1

Leave the matrix and copy all the values from the banshee powered mass points/mass points to your ufo physics tag and assign your markers the same as the banshees (eg change your ufo hullback mass points so it is the same as the banshees), also be aware that the radius of each mass point will become collision geometry so be careful when choosing how big or small they are.

Lastly you should rename your original Banshee_mp.vehicle to Banshee_mp.vehicle.backup and then copy your modified vehicle tag and place it in the banshee folder (so basically you have backed up the original and replaced it with your one)
Then all that needs to be done is place your vehicle into sapien (Note: because it overwrites the Banshee you will not be able to use the Banshee, instead if you place a banshee your ufo will appear)

Hopefully thats it, you can mess about with the settings and physics to get the final result you want but as it is it will fly like a banshee.

Any problems let me know, its pretty much how I did it at first and is a safe bet to get a custom vehicle in for the first time, but also be aware that you may have to set your vehicle bounding radius to its probable size (eg if your vehicle is about the same size as a hog then just use roughly the same value and add 1 or two), also you may have to offset your vehicle if it is'nt placed properly.
This is just one way of doing it and there are probably other ways but this is just the easiest.

Tutorial by

{{AoA}}Axeman

also known as The Axeman/Axl/Anglegrinder/A BAD MAN ;)
Last edited by axeman on Fri Jul 16, 2004 2:28 pm, edited 4 times in total.
John Spartan

Post by John Spartan »

OMG thank you a bunch YAY i can put in my atv
Superfly

Post by Superfly »

pretty good tut, I'll try it sometime.

Is it ok to put that tutorial on my site?
HMC Helljumper

Post by HMC Helljumper »

yes can I put this on my website if i give u credit?
HMC Helljumper

Post by HMC Helljumper »

i got a ?... wen i am creating the collision-geometry, it says to repeat step to witht he markers, but int he collosion geometry there are no markers, only nodes and leaves and such
axeman

Articulatist 50

Re: How to make custom vehicles tutorial (basic)

Post by axeman »

Axeman wrote:STEP 4 : Creating and exporting the collision geometry

For the collision geometry we will need to find out what markers you will need (the collision geometry needs different markers to do with physics) first goto guerilla and open the Banshee's PHYSICS and follow step 2 (but for the collision geometry, use the names in the mass points).go back to 3dmax and re-name all the markers you had for the gbx model in the names of the markers from the banshee PHYSICS (you may have to add/delete some markers), again place these where you think they will go. Link these to your model and open the materials menu (M is the shortcut) and change the name of your material group to collision geometry. Dont forget to Save your 3dmax CG model (collision geometry).
Doh, it should read banshee physics, sorry my typo. :roll:
coodude25

Wordewatician 50

Post by coodude25 »

thnx so much this is a lot of help, but i have one other question, how do you make animations in 3ds max?
kaptainkommie

Wordewatician 500

Post by kaptainkommie »

Stickied.
axeman

Articulatist 50

Post by axeman »

Well you dont actually make any animations for this tutorial but I will release a tutorial as soon as I have sorted animations out fully as there are a few things I still need to work on.
HMC Helljumper

Post by HMC Helljumper »

u are a true genious and i am looking forward to your animations tut, i am in desperate need of that. also, about the using of this tut (with credit given) on my site? can i?
axeman

Articulatist 50

Post by axeman »

No problem, if you find anything ive missed or got wrong dont hesitate to PM me and I will rectify the problem but I think most of the things I missed are there now. :wink:
luquis

Post by luquis »

when i try to open up my physics tags in guerilla it closes. any reason why that happens?
axeman

Articulatist 50

Post by axeman »

be careful of the shapes you make and try not to place alot of markers too close together coz it does'nt like it for some reason, I found while making the jetpack that it does'nt like L-shapes or C-shapes?? if all else fails remake a collision model for your vehicle.
luquis

Post by luquis »

okay that helps. i happen to have a lot of markers that are pretty close together.
axeman

Articulatist 50

Post by axeman »

All the physics are determined by the collision geometry so if your original shape wont work, make another shape that is a little less complex.
luquis

Post by luquis »

thats what i ender up doing
LegomanNQC

tool error

Post by LegomanNQC »

whenever I use the command prompt Tool.exe model vehicles\whatever, it has an error Couldn't read map file './toolbeta.map'
Flynn

Post by Flynn »

Tool always says that, pay no attention to it..

Anyway i've tried this tut and everything goes well but i can't enter my vehicle, i don't get the message 'Press E to enter ....' when i stand at the driver-hint spot. I've got a model with markers and a CG with markers and i don't get any errors when exporting and building.

Anyone knows why i can't enter it ?
axeman

Articulatist 50

Post by axeman »

You have got a 'Driver enter' marker right?, and you have put seats in it as well?, powered seats for a driver also. :wink:
Flynn

Post by Flynn »

Well since it is a copy (in a way) of a banshee it has a powered seat as well, and yes i got those markers.. still nothing :?