Ultimate Collision Model Sticky

Discuss general issues about modding HaloPC. Post ideas for mods here.
sparkicks

Post by sparkicks »

is there any way i could make something that you could walk up or something like making walk on walls but just for this?
Krickett

Post by Krickett »

is there anyway to make a collision model for the fighter bomber (longsword)
realistic

Post by realistic »

nice. This opens up new possibilities!
Edwin

Re: Ultimate Collision Model Sticky

Post by Edwin »

Ang88 wrote:Since there are so many stickys for collision models, i decided to combine them into one.

Tutorial for stretching the collision Models
ALL CREDIT GOES TO XORANGE FOR THIS

As I said before, the "panels" used to be the log, which is tree_leafy_fallentunk.
I just renamed everything so that it would be all "authentic".
I used the scenery, model, collision model & appropriate bitmaps.
(I used Milkshape3D to modify the model & Photoshop for the textures.)

Here's the deal with the collision model....
I have limited knowledge of the collision models and it took me quite a bit of research and experimentation to get to the point I'm at.
I have not yet been able to modify this much more than I already have,but I am still working on it.
(I recommend extracting the "panel" collision model meta and taking a look at it in a hex editor. It would also be helpful to extract the log collision model meta frrom a clean cache so you can compare the two and see what changes I made.)
Basically, down at the bottom of that meta there are 8 packets of numbers that represent vertices for the collision model.
(Beginning at 0x269EE30)
Here's what the first packet looks like:
9AEBACBF CA6B9DBE 62F58F3E 04000000
The first three numbers are floats, and are x,y,z coordinates, respectively.
The last number is just the number of the point. So, this one is vertice #4.
To stretch the verts out to where I wanted them I multiplied each Y coord 5x for each set of verts.
That almost did the trick.
Now, near the middle of the collision model meta there are 6 more important packets of data (each 0x10 bytes), which I believe are all floats, beginning at offset 0x269EC08.
I believe these numbers are attributes of the collision model.
The one's I changed are at the end of the 3rd & 4th packets.
The specific floats I changed are @ offsets 0x269EC34 & 0x269EC44.
I'm not exactly sure what these are, but I know that they affect the surface of the collision model. I multiplied them 5x.
Done. That's all I did to the collision model. Multiplied 10 floats by 5. Whee!
I have experimented with making the collision model thinner, wider, etc. with some success.
I have not yet been able to stretch it along the X axis, otherwise I would've made some giant flat platforms.
I have obviously successfully stratched it along the Y axis, though for some reason I can't make it as long as I want...there is some sort of limit that I haven't been able to get past yet.
I have also successfully stretched it along the Z axis, which I haven't really found a use for yet. If you stretch it along Y & Z you end up with a big block. woohoo, right.
This is a pretty simple collision model. Most of them are not as simple because they have more parts.
As UberJim mentioned, you could probably use a diff. collision model and get similar results. Yes, you probably could, but keep in mind that diff. collision models have dff. attributes. For example the door_blast_collision allows you to shoot through it but not walk through it. Thus if you used something else like that you might need to modify it further for it to suit your needs.
You could also use this collision model with another flattened model if you want.

Ok..that's about all I can think of to say about that.
I hope it was helpful.
ok, knowing this, is there a way someone could make a plugin that would extract this data into RAW format? I would do it myself if i could code worth a shit, but i can't.
"If you go to Z'ha'dum you will die."
Inquisinator

Post by Inquisinator »

no halo 1 modding programming has support for plugins that actually ADD features to the app.
CtrlAltDestroy

Designer

Post by CtrlAltDestroy »

HEK+.
Edwin

Post by Edwin »

Inquisinator wrote:no halo 1 modding programming has support for plugins that actually ADD features to the app.
have you EVER actually USED Halo Map Tools?
CtrlAltDestroy

Designer

Post by CtrlAltDestroy »

XML plugins don't add features to HMT.
Edwin

Post by Edwin »

not directly, no, but you can repurpose existing features. There are already extraction prototcols built into teh program, use 'em.
Fumoho

Post by Fumoho »

Sick.