[WIP] Code Named "Halo: FTW - Refined and Polished"

Discuss general issues about modding HaloPC. Post ideas for mods here.
Pepsi

Snitch! Wordewatician 500

Post by Pepsi »

Nope, you need Xfire. If i get on MSN im flooded by nonsense and people still trying to add me for Halo matches and what not. Its to troublesome.
Life is not how you survive the storm, but how you dance in the rain
bcnipod

Post by bcnipod »

Pepsi wrote:Nope, you need Xfire. If i get on MSN im flooded by nonsense and people still trying to add me for Halo matches and what not. Its to troublesome.
Well I cannot use Xfire... :<
GameRanger I can.
Twitter: Dirk Gently | Major lulz
Mr. Brightside: Worst mod I've seen since 'Nam.
Website
tucker933

Post by tucker933 »

bcnipod wrote:
Pepsi wrote:Nope, you need Xfire. If i get on MSN im flooded by nonsense and people still trying to add me for Halo matches and what not. Its to troublesome.
GameRanger I can.
Ill take his place =]
AMD Phenomist
bcnipod

Post by bcnipod »

tucker933 wrote:
bcnipod wrote:
GameRanger I can.
Ill take his place =]
Can you beta/convert on mac? no, I thought not.
Website
tucker933

Post by tucker933 »

bcnipod wrote:
tucker933 wrote:
bcnipod wrote:
GameRanger I can.
Ill take his place =]
Whom says I cant?
But anyway, i'll give myself big slap across the face because I thought you guys were talking about something else anyway. :oops:
AMD Phenomist
bcnipod

Post by bcnipod »

tucker933 wrote:
bcnipod wrote:
tucker933 wrote:
bcnipod wrote:
GameRanger I can.
Ill take his place =]
Whom says I cant?
But anyway, i'll give myself big slap across the face because I thought you guys were talking about something else anyway. :oops:
Can you fix a map that exceptions to work? right....
Website
tucker933

Post by tucker933 »

bcnipod wrote:
tucker933 wrote:
bcnipod wrote:
tucker933 wrote:
bcnipod wrote:
GameRanger I can.
Ill take his place =]
Whom says I cant?
Can you fix a map that exceptions to work? right....
I was merely proving that you didn't know what I can or can't really do :wink:
In all seriousness, no I cannot.
AMD Phenomist
Philly

Collaborator

Post by Philly »

My internet's not working properly so I can't watch online videos properly, but did I hear a new assault rifle ready sound in that last video? It would make sense if you kept the modified sounds.map from my mod, in which case that sound is not mine, it belongs to ER-449. I'm not suggesting that you're going to release this mod with that sound in, or not. I'm just saying that it's not my sound if you wish to use it. :P
For anybody still wondering where FTD has gone, here it is.
Brendando

Post by Brendando »

Well, so far this looks awesome- another level, even to ftw :). Battle creek really seems to have its own feel now- swampy jungle. Boarding Action looks like a map that I will play all the time now, which is saying something, as the original never seemed to do it justice. Timberland looks good, and will be fantastic with a few tweaks, and adding bumpmaps, etc. Can't wait to see Gyph... What I've really liked most so far, and the most uncommented feature I think in all these maps is the gorgeous skies. Boarding Actions, I really like Timberlands, and even Battle Creek. :).
Life is like a chocolate;
over-valued, wrapped in sweet pretenses,
and full of unknown substances;
all consumed too soon, before you've realised what you've done.
Pepsi

Post by Pepsi »

Been really tied up with Gephy trying to futher the idea we had at first on a "hellish" map and so forth. I know the screen below is kinda dark but this is one of thoes things thats going to need a vid to show it off for what it really is. yes thats a huge fire pit below it with animated fire spewing out of it. I still have to work on the lighting for the map to make it a tad brighter and I havent even begun the sky. But none the less this is the maps theme.

EDIT: Movie of this is rendering. It makes a huge difference.
Last edited by Pepsi on Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
hiheyhello

Post by hiheyhello »

Add some smoke?
Last edited by hiheyhello on Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tural wrote:I like to pretend I have friends.
Pepsi

Post by Pepsi »

Mr.Brightside
Readers Club

Post by Mr.Brightside »

Pepsi wrote:Demo Vid of Gehpy: http://pepness.net/ftw/GephyDemo.html
xfire mbmb?
But I still hear the deafening drums of war onward every twisted spoke
Brendando

Post by Brendando »

Pepsi wrote:1 map done. 15 to go.
Does this mean your not re-vamping campaign? :/
Life is like a chocolate;
over-valued, wrapped in sweet pretenses,
and full of unknown substances;
all consumed too soon, before you've realised what you've done.
DeadHamster

Snitch! Advisor Articulatist 500

Post by DeadHamster »

Confirming Pepsi has no plans to touch campaign, for reason's I wont divulge into. If he wants to say why he will.
Pepsi

Post by Pepsi »

Brendando wrote:
Pepsi wrote:1 map done. 15 to go.
Does this mean your not re-vamping campaign? :/
6 maps done now actually. Im just not posting alot of it yet.

Campaign? I tell you some true honesty of why I dont want to do it...

For one it would only get played like twice by the downloaded then forgotten. Look at it like this... Lets take a popular movie most have seen called "SAW". Everyone knows what happens and everyone knows the plot twist and the ending. So you put the movie in HD, add some explosions and give the actors new weapons. It still doesnt change whats going to happen cause the movie has been scripted and all your doing is adding a bunch of stuff to enhance what you already know is going to happen.

From my point of view its the same. You cant change Halo's storyline or make that different so whats the point in playing it a bunch of times? So you can wield a few new weapons? Fight stronger enemy's? Drive a new vehicle? Thats ok and fine but its only going to satisfy someone for a few play trough's then the hype is gone.

What has and always keep the Halo series alive is its online gaming. This goes for other games as well like COD4, Left4Dead and so forth. So im going to focus my attention where its going to be used and played with the most, in the multi player end. If Halo had a co-op for its campaign then things would be a little different and offer more variety but it simply doesn't.

Another thing im trying to stay away from is using anything "H3" related or "halo related" in a sense. I want these maps im doing to have thier own feel and not reflected on the sole purpose of "matching the halo universe". Im trying to step out the box again and just be a little more creative then last time and bring something new that hasnt been seen before really to make for a interesting environment. I want you to only know what maps your playing cause you recognize the BSP and thats all. I want them to have a new feel and look.

Then I also want to make sure there lobby friendly so you can enjoy all this without having to worry about exceptions and not forcing a friend to download the maps to play with you. Everything revolves around the lobby games and that is where these will be used more then ever is in actual servers and not having to ...

1. make a server to play mod.
2. get friends to download mod
3. change out maps or have to .ppf files

its just all to complicated for some and people want to game and go. Besides, thoes 3 steps I mentioned already exists and its called Halo:CE. If I wanted to mod a bunch of maps and they wouldnt be lobby friendly I might as well do then in the CE end cause the tools there are more easy to work with and if the map needs to be that complex then thats the place to do it. So in the end im sticking by Halo:PC tools with HaloPC lobby friendliness.

Ive been playing this game now for 5 years i think now and ive deleted alot of cool modded maps off my comp just cause I want to be in actual game play with other people and not just 3 people in a single server with someone with 0 ping. Its fun for a hour then you go..

"Hey, lets find a real server and pwn ppl."

and everyone leaves. I don't want this mod to be treated like that so im thinking ahead trying to curb that before it has a chance to happen. Also, I think its more fun to find out what is allowed and what isnt for joiner friendly and shows your thinking more about the users need first and what they would have fun with most. I think thats why FTW had the success it did was that your could go anywhere with it and enjoy it with anyone.

Also, the install for FTW was uber simple..

"swap my maps for yours"

Like I said, people want simple and easy. So im doing my best to offer that without slacking on the value of what they are getting for a product.

----------------------------------

If none of that above made sense to you and you need something simple then read this below.

No, no campaign. Wait for mod. You'll like it. Please drive around to first window.
DeadHamster

Post by DeadHamster »

Coke wrote:You cant change Halo's storyline or make that different
Oh I beg to differ good sir.
Pepsi

Post by Pepsi »

DeadHamster wrote:
Coke wrote:You cant change Halo's storyline or make that different
Oh I beg to differ good sir.
Prove me wrong? Show me plz...

COOOMMBOO BRR-RRE-EEAKKK-EERRR!
DeadHamster

Post by DeadHamster »

MP "SP" maps open up a LOT of potential.

No, you can't make a whole new campaign with fresh cutscenes and scripted events (conure go away :wink: ), but you can make a new story. I already explained this to you over Xfire I believe. /bad memory.
kanki

Post by kanki »

I got one question, is boarding action supposed to look like a brand new space ship with no scratches that has never moved anywhere at all? That's the problem I had with FTW with all the shiny new vehicles.

I just never thought it fit with Halo, but putting that aside, the way you change the looks of this game is kinda really amazing.