Skinning Trouble

Discuss general issues about modding HaloPC. Post ideas for mods here.
General_orca

Skinning Trouble

Post by General_orca »

OK I've been trying to make my own snow skins and I've only gotten this result (I've been attempting this a lot)

P.S. its know where near done

Why is it that when you tell a person that there are 400 billion stars in the sky and he'll believe you, tell him a bench is wet and he has to touch it?
xbox

Blacksmith

Re: Skinning Trouble

Post by xbox »

Make sure you EOF and update before injecting, and then updating the size when it asks yo to.
General_orca

Post by General_orca »

i also should say that i am a complete noob when it comes to skinning, whats an EOF?
xbox

Blacksmith

Post by xbox »

When you inject the skin with HMT, press the EOF button and then update.
General_orca

Post by General_orca »

ok when i do that it either A. is just a pure black layer on the ground with corrupted water or sky bitmaps, or B. fails to load the map entirely. i did do the EOF and update AFTER I injected it so is there something I'm missing?
Why is it that when you tell a person that there are 400 billion stars in the sky and he'll believe you, tell him a bench is wet and he has to touch it?
xbox

Blacksmith

Post by xbox »

Start with a fresh map and bitmaps.map.
Go to the desired texture and hit EOF and then update.
Press inject and choose you new .dds.
Press yes if it asks to update the size.

That should work correctly, and will also make the new texture specific to that map, which means the more textures you add in this method (which is recommended) it will increase that map size and not change anything in bitmaps.map (Bitmaps.map effects all maps, so if you just inject normally everything you do will be displayed in all maps.)

This method also allows for the injection of larger bitmaps.
But be sure to keep it in the same ratio as the original.
ie:If the original is 512x512, then you would make it 1024x1024 or 2048x2048. You can go larger than that but it is not recommended or useful.
General_orca

Post by General_orca »

thank you for your help that makes sense now, thank you for your time and 123 steps..... i need those :oops:
thanks again

EDIT:did everything step for step but came up with this....is it just me??
ok what i did was color the test_death_beach all white, i used HMT nothing else so that all im doing

xbox

Blacksmith

Post by xbox »

It may be a video card problem.

I had this occur to me a few times on my old desktop with a x32 and Radeon 9800 pro, but now on my x64 Nvidea 9600m GTX I have never run in to the problem.
General_orca

Post by General_orca »

Ok this is what i have on my computer, it is new i built it this fall.

I run a Windows XP
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU E2180 @ 2.00GHz
Memory: 2046MB RAM
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c
System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS (super clocked)

so i dont think its my card or is it? the game will do the same thing with my Banshee Snow skin, it'll be black all over until i get close to it. so any suggestions? or give up on my mod idea
guysullavin

Post by guysullavin »

the worst thign i see on that list is your CPU. otehr than that it seems perfectly capable of halo.

idk man
Not Removing until Prototype comes out. Started 1/7/2009
obj1: DUDE'S GOT A POINT....I GIVE THIS PRODUCT A TRY....HELL WHAT COULD GO WRONG!
waev: caps lock might
botternub

Post by botternub »

that cpu is juts fine. i ran halo on 1.6ghz without a problem. besides that CPU is a dualcore and can take it.

this happens to me with my 9800gtx and quadcore 2.67ghz... so its not a hardware/software problem.

its just that when you try to inject something that is too solid of a color into a large area like walls and the floor for some reason you get those black shadows... no idea why but i may have seen someone fix this in an earlier thread. id go searching
warlord

Post by warlord »

It seems to me that your lightmaps have been corrupted.
Try replaceing the bitmaps from a stock bitmaps.map file found on the halo pc CD in the CAB2 file.
Also when editing bitmaps do not forget to NOT import the mipmaps or you will have one layer of bitmap using the new texture and 7 others using the old one.
And do generate new mipmaps upon export so that the old mipmaps do not stay in their original place but get overwritten by the new ones.
SHOUTrvb wrote:I'm in love with Tural, but I keep having all these negative discussions with him.
A tribute to Veegie by Atty