Security

Post here about scripting and programming for HaloPC (audio, network, ai, etc.)
Eaton

Enthraller

Security

Post by Eaton »

I have been thinking of a way to implement security on my programs... I want to put some sort of hash or checksum on my program's exe and put a code in the loading code of the program to verify if the hash/checksum is valid. Is is possible to do this or will it not work?
grimdoomer

System Engineer

Re: Security

Post by grimdoomer »

Eaton wrote:I have been thinking of a way to implement security on my programs... I want to put some sort of hash or checksum on my program's exe and put a code in the loading code of the program to verify if the hash/checksum is valid. Is is possible to do this or will it not work?
Yes, but unless your app does something worth blocking, like a public beta expiration date, then you wouldn't need to. Also, anyone with the skills to reverse your app wouldn't need it. Especially at this time and age in modding.
AI Zones in MP | Ambiance | Gravemind Beta v1.1
Aumaan Anubis wrote:Grimdoomer. The first person ever to mod Halo 2 Vista.
[cc]z@nd!

Literarian 500

Re: Security

Post by [cc]z@nd! »

I agree with grimdoomer, the demand for an altered/cracked version of your program is probably so low that it isn't worth worrying about. I don't know of any protection methods myself, but assuming the program takes a hash/checksum of it's own code, it wouldn't be too hard to take a peek/debug at how it goes about it, and alter that.

I just grabbed the book from the library today so I haven't had a chance to read it, but you may want to check out Building Secure Software by john viega & gary mcgraw. if your library doesn't have a copy and you don't want to buy, i'm sure there's a copy floating around on the internet somewhere. I'm sure there's also much more than just one book on this subject.
ASPARTAME: in your diet soda and artificial sweeteners. also, it's obviously completely safe. it's not like it will cause tumors or anything. >.>
always remember: guilty until proven innocent