Using Photoshop to make Ground Textures

Finish a new model/mesh? Got something you're working on? Finish a new map? Here's the place to post it for feedback and whatnot.
reenact12321

Using Photoshop to make Ground Textures

Post by reenact12321 »

I am still somewhat new to halo editing. I'm starting to build maps but often find myself relying on parts from other maps or going back to the tutorial.

Now I want to make my own texture for the ground in my map. However, the only tutorial I could find on doing that was byt Kirk and that uses paintshop which I don't have

does anybody know how to do the masking/alpha creation step in photoshop?
SnaFuBAR

Post by SnaFuBAR »

Dude. No. Do you even know who Katarn and Snaf are?They are some of the few 1337est modelers that have ever set foot in CE. =D
conscars

Post by conscars »

What you want to do is work with layers. This way, after you've made your dirt paths layer, you can simply ctrl+click the layer thumbnail to select the transparency of that layer (the area you've painted) and fill white in your alpha channel using that selection.

To paint nice paths, use the nice brushes at your disposal and spend a good amount of time making them look nice. Have another map's bitmap open too compare with yours.
Philly

Collaborator

Post by Philly »

conscars wrote:To paint nice paths, use the nice brushes at your disposal and spend a good amount of time making them look nice. Have another map's bitmap open too compare with yours.
This is very good advice. And true. :)
For anybody still wondering where FTD has gone, here it is.