[WIP] Observatory

Finish a new model/mesh? Got something you're working on? Finish a new map? Here's the place to post it for feedback and whatnot.
metkillerjoe

Wordewatician 500

[WIP] Observatory

Post by metkillerjoe »

Observatory
----------------

Notes: I didn't want to release this because I feared that "wow, that map is a piece of sh*t" kind of comments would ensue. I did spend about a month on the map so far and the screeny is only a little piece of a map that is about 2-2.5x bigger the bloodgulch.

If you post please add critisizum as will help me not only understand what you want in the map but also help me how to improve my modeling skills.
/notes

Vehicles planned:
-Kamakaze (in modeling stages)

Weapons planned:
-HS2000 Croatian XD Springfield Pistol (in modeling stages)

Screens of these models will not be posted yet because they are still only a couple of weeks old.

Here it is (or a corner of it anyway):

Post-Picture Notes:
I haven't applied most of the other textures such as the cliff texture to the map. Geometry isn't final (like in other maps). Keep all that in mind when you are posting.
And remember: please give a lot of constructive critizism.
Last edited by metkillerjoe on Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
gh0570fchurch

Snitch!

Post by gh0570fchurch »

The base is pretty well done, but the cliff is not too great, and the ground is too dark and rich colored. I realize it's not done yet, and it shows. I can think of a whole list of things you could improve just judging by this pic.
Last edited by gh0570fchurch on Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dr.Cox wrote:gh0570fchurch has a mexi-stash. =D
metkillerjoe

Wordewatician 500

Post by metkillerjoe »

gh0570fchurch wrote:The base is pretty well done, but the cliff is not too great, and the ground is too dark and rich colored.

Noted.

Base was something I had trouble with design wise because I'm still not used to the way Halo architecture is shaped (not in the mindset yet).
I can think of a whole list of things you could improve just judging by this pic.
Ok. Shoot :) .
dos mes

Post by dos mes »

Exremely simple looking, but nice job none the less :D
metkillerjoe

Wordewatician 500

Post by metkillerjoe »

Dos Mes wrote:Exremely simple looking, but nice job none the less :D
Thanks. Most of the geometry design is borrowed from the best maps I've seen, but then again this is my first map so don't expect too much.

Still, thank you for your comment and I will look into ways of improving the aesthetics :) .

Sorry, forgot to mention: one of the reason why it looks so plain is that no scenery has been added. Geometry is not done and I find it cumbersome to find mistakes when scenery is distracting me.
dos mes

Post by dos mes »

Yea, that's the main problem. However, the bases look like they are really good for a small scale battle, especially a CTF game would go great with them.
Phosphorous

Post by Phosphorous »

The base doesnt look very Haloish. The planks shouldnt jut out so far, I would try and base the base design roughly off of Ice Fields's bases.
metkillerjoe

Wordewatician 500

Post by metkillerjoe »

Dos Mes wrote:Yea, that's the main problem. However, the bases look like they are really good for a small scale battle, especially a CTF game would go great with them.
Thanks. I actually did design them for that purpose (since the main battles happen over much larger area), so its great to see that somebody agrees with that perspective.

I will continue searching for good maps to leech off ideas.
Phosphorous wrote:The base doesnt look very Haloish. The planks shouldnt jut out so far, I would try and base the base design roughly off of Ice Fields's bases.
Noted. I'll do that sometime this week.
The planks shouldnt jut out so far
The planks are for Banshees; I scaled them appropriatly, but I'll see to it that that is also fixed in some way
:) .

:)
Last edited by metkillerjoe on Sun Sep 24, 2006 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rossmum

Post by rossmum »

Looks like you've got some texturing on the skybox and it's intersecting the cliffs, also take some of the saturation out of the ground. Base will look much better with bumpmapping, but so far I like the design. Reminds me of the top of the tower in 343GS.
metkillerjoe

Wordewatician 500

Post by metkillerjoe »

rossmum wrote:Looks like you've got some texturing on the skybox and it's intersecting the cliffs, also take some of the saturation out of the ground. Base will look much better with bumpmapping, but so far I like the design. Reminds me of the top of the tower in 343GS.
*laughs* That is actually a cliff which needs some geometry work. But of course: noted ;).
also take some of the saturation out of the ground. Base will look much better with bumpmapping, but so far I like the design.
Thanks. Noted.
Phosphorous

Post by Phosphorous »

Well, maybe have an internal pad for a banshee, and I dont think you need 4 banshees at one base. Thats sorta overkill.

Itd be nice to see the bases with a catwalk all the way around, and maybe a central tower that rises further up. With a sniper rifle in it :twisted: .

That, and add some stuff inside it, like some cover, and maybe a 'hog garage. Might make it a bit crowded though :?
metkillerjoe

Wordewatician 500

Post by metkillerjoe »

Phosphorous wrote:Well, maybe have an internal pad for a banshee, and I dont think you need 4 banshees at one base. Thats sorta overkill.

Itd be nice to see the bases with a catwalk all the way around, and maybe a central tower that rises further up. With a sniper rifle in it :twisted: .

That, and add some stuff inside it, like some cover, and maybe a 'hog garage. Might make it a bit crowded though :?
I'll keep that in mind, thanks. :D . As I said. Scenery will be added later. Still not done with rough geometry, but again, thanks for the comment.

Edit:

Turning in for the night (remember its almost 11pm here in new england). I'm going to do a quality 1 radiosity on the map and see how it looks. I'll post more pics of map.
The science of Kaboom

Post by The science of Kaboom »

Maybe have like a sniper platform/tower thingy in the top center area of the base. It's looking good so far keep up the good work. Also im glad someone on here is taking notice of the XD. what cal will it be in?(theres like .40sw, 9mmparabellum, and .45acp.)
Sig over 3 lines.
metkillerjoe

Wordewatician 500

Post by metkillerjoe »

The science of Kaboom wrote:Maybe have like a sniper platform/tower thingy in the top center area of the base. It's looking good so far keep up the good work. Also im glad someone on here is taking notice of the XD. what cal will it be in?(theres like .40sw, 9mmparabellum, and .45acp.)
The XD will be a 9mm. The only reason why I did the XD was because it is of Croatian origin. And I was born in Croatia. My native language, ironically, is English, but I am still fluent in Croatian:

Bok, ja sam metkillerjoe. I bi volio ako neko drugi je isto iz Hrvatske ili iz neke druge zemle koja isto ima nekakav Slovakci jezik.

Translation:

Hell, I am metkillerjoe. I would like if there was another person from Croatia or some other country with slavic style language.

:D .

I'm actually thinking about doing a floating base. Any takers? I'm going to start modeling it tonight.
Phosphorous

Post by Phosphorous »

metkillerjoe wrote: I'm actually thinking about doing a floating base. Any takers? I'm going to start modeling it tonight.
Make it a covie base.
metkillerjoe

Wordewatician 500

Post by metkillerjoe »

Phosphorous wrote:
metkillerjoe wrote: I'm actually thinking about doing a floating base. Any takers? I'm going to start modeling it tonight.
Make it a covie base.
Covie?

I'm making it a forerunner base. Is that what you mean?

I'll probably have some kind of crashed spaceship somwhere on the base, though.

I am going to do this because it is minor work. I only do entire map editiing on the weekends because of time constraint.
gh0570fchurch

Snitch!

Post by gh0570fchurch »

BTW, joe. Covie=Covenant. :wink:
Dr.Cox wrote:gh0570fchurch has a mexi-stash. =D
metkillerjoe

Wordewatician 500

Post by metkillerjoe »

gh0570fchurch wrote:BTW, joe. Covie=Covenant. :wink:
I know that. But I didn't think that the covenant had any influence on Halo architecture. Or am I mistaken?
Phosphorous

Post by Phosphorous »

metkillerjoe wrote:
gh0570fchurch wrote:BTW, joe. Covie=Covenant. :wink:
I know that. But I didn't think that the covenant had any influence on Halo architecture. Or am I mistaken?
You're not mistaken. When you said floating base it reminded me of the jackal sniper outposts, and I thought it would be cool to see a larger covie one.
fishface617

Post by fishface617 »

looks good so far joe,

i like the idea of a tower with the banshees inside that fly out of like a hangar-type window, and also the idea for a warthog garage