Can I import an object from Halo into G-Max? If so, how?

Finish a new model/mesh? Got something you're working on? Finish a new map? Here's the place to post it for feedback and whatnot.
TLove2487

Can I import an object from Halo into G-Max? If so, how?

Post by TLove2487 »

And, according to scorces, even if i do edit the object I can't play with it in the game right?
Slash0x

Re: Can I import an object from Halo into G-Max? If so, how?

Post by Slash0x »

TLove2487 wrote:And, according to scorces, even if i do edit the object I can't play with it in the game right?
As of right now, I would say the answer is "no". We first have to wait until some sort of extracter is available then a converter. First step is SDK, then hopefully the extracter (OR if we are lucky...ALL AT ONCE).

Understand Love? :?
TLove2487

Post by TLove2487 »

Sorta... but what is the SDK? Is that made by Gmax or something? When do you think it will be avalible?

I have experiance in AutoCAD, using 3d, and very little with AutoCAD's Inventor porgram. So hopefully that will help me along.

The "love" in TLove.... my real name is Tim Lovelace. Get it? Just a nickname.

tLove
Hivemind

Wordewatician 500

Post by Hivemind »

:) tlove, yes it is possible to open the obj files into gmax.. and yes, sapien (the sdk) is based on gmax - just like unreal things.. anway it is possible to both export a mesh, bring it into gmax, export it back into a obj, and then put it in a map.. the way to out it back into the map is the hardest part.. making a program of you r ow n or editing sparkedit.. you can change the export into import, and put the level back together...

all of this is obviously not realeased to the public.. and im only saying it because its possible, not that i expect many people to do it.. but what im saying also is that i CAN do it
SourceGuy
Readers Club

Magic Era Golden Age Tsunami Scorched Earth

Post by SourceGuy »

Current version of sparkedit supports exporting to .obj - Importing back will be supported later.
Hivemind

Wordewatician 500

Post by Hivemind »

thats what i thought, im just saying that it is possible, the time and work for a normal person? not very possible for them... no offense or nothin, just takes time.. and im not makin a progrm to do it, since sparkedit wil be able 2
TLove2487

Post by TLove2487 »

Ok, I've exported bloodgultch from Sparkedit as an .obj file. Now how do i open it in G Max?
Hivemind

Wordewatician 500

Post by Hivemind »

press import and click the file.. or you might have to get a obj import plug-in.. im using max, sry.. but there almost the same
TLove2487

Post by TLove2487 »

Yeah... everytime i try import and click the file (.obj of bloodgultch) it says it doesn't recegnize it. Ugh.
Slash0x

Post by Slash0x »

TLove2487 wrote:Yeah... everytime i try import and click the file (.obj of bloodgultch) it says it doesn't recegnize it. Ugh.
Just try being patient and what until all the stuff comes out for extracting and importing and such. Probably will be a lot easier to do things then.

If you can find an plugin that allows you to import *.obj files, then it should work. But until then, you are better off being patient. ;)
TLove2487

Post by TLove2487 »

... yeah... your probably right. i just am so eager to learn. :D

by the way, when is Sapien due out? didn't they say very soon after the game was released?
Slash0x

Post by Slash0x »

TLove2487 wrote:... yeah... your probably right. i just am so eager to learn. :D

by the way, when is Sapien due out? didn't they say very soon after the game was released?
Yeah, but that was a rumor...somewhere on this forum, it says mid-november I think. ;)
Darkstorm995

Post by Darkstorm995 »

mid november!!!
nooo... too long.
Slash0x

Post by Slash0x »

darkstorm995 wrote:mid november!!!
nooo... too long.
You know, once it comes out, there will be several maps coming out within two days of it's first release date. :P
TLove2487

Post by TLove2487 »

What do you mean? Like Gearbox is releasing new maps or people are makin mods to release? Or that people are just goin to mod like crazy the first day and release the second day? :shock:
Slash0x

Post by Slash0x »

TLove2487 wrote:What do you mean? Like Gearbox is releasing new maps or people are makin mods to release? Or that people are just goin to mod like crazy the first day and release the second day? :shock:
Well, if there are many people with premad levels and all they have to do is texturize it, that means there should be many maps after the release date...understand my theory? :wink:
raz0r

Post by raz0r »

this is prolly a dumb ?, but could u import maps from other games and make them into halo form? i dunno y im askin this, i dont even play HPC lol
Bubbasparxxxv69

Post by Bubbasparxxxv69 »

maby, when SDK comes out andif the file format can be changed
Govo

Post by Govo »

raz0r wrote:this is prolly a dumb ?, but could u import maps from other games and make them into halo form? i dunno y im askin this, i dont even play HPC lol
with small tweaking, it is possible to import maps from nearly any game, at least from those which use BSP
- Govo
Slash0x

Post by Slash0x »

Yeah, like Govo said...also depends on how the maps are exported determines if it's posible and the file type. Renegade is GMax based, so obviously, that would be an easy conversion. ;)