manually finding raw model offsets

Technical Chatter here.
EchoRanger449

Articulatist 250

manually finding raw model offsets

Post by EchoRanger449 »

I'm trying to use tiamat's gauss hog from hugeass. I converted it to pc with harbinger but the offsets.csv for the model offsets will not load successfully. I need some way to extract the raw model for the rebuild. Any help?
grimdoomer

System Engineer

Post by grimdoomer »

Im guessing this is for PC/CE, I know it halo 2 that the raw offsets are in the tags meta. That would be your best bet.
AI Zones in MP | Ambiance | Gravemind Beta v1.1
Aumaan Anubis wrote:Grimdoomer. The first person ever to mod Halo 2 Vista.
EchoRanger449

Articulatist 250

Post by EchoRanger449 »

tags meta? There is no such thing for Halo PC.

Edit- there is no such thing as "tags meta" and I stand by that as well as anyone else that couldn't understand the poor grammar. There is however, tag meta, or you could have said tag's meta. It's nice to see that the people at halomods have the maturity to understand and comment, without flaming, in a helpful way that clears up a misunderstanding due to someone's lack of grammar or caring of it.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate your attempt to help me grimdoomer.

I just feel that it's inappropriate to start flaming and name calling someone who's asking a question in a help forum out of all places.

Oh, it's also nice to see people using their signatures to poke fun at, or just simple mock people they don't even know. At least ask me before you do something that asinine.

Actually come to think of it, it's kind of funny, I'm not the one who messed up, but I get flamed and ridiculed for it. I'm beginning to see why few people ask real questions, or at least anymore from here. There are people who do the research because no one else who already knew how to do a certain task would provide that information; sometimes these "re-researchers" do this research without the passion to understand all the coding and technical information involved with Halo; I'm one of them. Now, assuming you're in my place, so you ask questions about some of these things, hoping someone else might know more about what you're talking about. People say, "I dunno" or just don't comment for fear of admin/mod retaliation for going off topic, but when you post your solution, they say, "this has been done millions of times before". You can also make something available for others for the first time directly and someone will go out and immediately reproduce your content and call it their own. You do all this work, get little or no credit, then you ask a simple question and immediately everyone tries to find some flaw or misunderstanding and blows it way out of proportions. Is asking a question a sign of weakness or is it that some people see something to attack, then go after it like a pack of wolves?

In summary, I'm not necessarily referring to everyone here nor are all the points I previously stated have examples found here. However, I didn't ask questions to put up with any attitude or crap. If I ask a question, I expect to receive an answer without ridicule and I expect the person(s) answering to have the intent to help.
If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all
Grow up.
Last edited by EchoRanger449 on Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:53 am, edited 4 times in total.
bcnipod

Post by bcnipod »

EchoRanger449 wrote:tags meta? There is no such thing for Halo PC.
lolwut
Twitter: Dirk Gently | Major lulz
Mr. Brightside: Worst mod I've seen since 'Nam.
Website
Xeno2

Post by Xeno2 »

Dont be ignorant.
bcnipod

Post by bcnipod »

I can guarantee you that Halo PC uses that.
Twitter: Dirk Gently | Major lulz
Mr. Brightside: Worst mod I've seen since 'Nam.
Website
EchoRanger449

Articulatist 250

Post by EchoRanger449 »

tag's meta?

That's different.

Or more appropriately, tag meta.

But call it meta since we're specifically referring to PC when we talk about meta.

Still, question not answered-
I'm assuming he meant the model's tag meta. No, the model is, but I heard that some of the other data is stored somewhere else in the map file. Why else would we need to decrap the models and build a new bsp chunk at the same time? Why does the BSP chunk get larger when we add more models?
I know...

So still, since I've answered half of my question, how do I find that data in the BSP tag, assuming that's where the raw vertices/indices are.

For proof that not all data is stored in each models' mod2 [tag] meta, I can rebuild a map with a model and if the model doesn't come out clean at the end (a few stray vertices going off into infinity) I can extract the wavefront model from the map (where the model was still clean) and it will look just fine until I switch back to it again.
bcnipod wrote:lolwut
Not helping.
Xeno2 wrote:Dont be ignorant.
Really not helping. Bad idea to start off flaming so early (flame = insult, especially if it's unproductive). Don't click "post reply" unless you have something productive to say.
bcnipod wrote:I can guarantee you that Halo PC uses that.
I know it does. The way it was worded did not make sense to me.
Xeno2

Post by Xeno2 »

EchoRanger449 , If your implying miscellaneous object models are stored in BSP data then you are saddly mistaken.
When the model data was compiled into the tag format before being introduced to the cashe file the exported model is exported to the objects model tag not to the BSP.
In custom edition a model will be exported from 3ds max to a JMS format which is then compiled into a GBXmodel tag the GBXmodel tag is the same kind of thing you would see in the list of model refferences in HMT.
The reason you need to make a new BSP chunk is that the model has not been refferenced into the scenario before hand and as such would not be acknowledged.
EchoRanger449

Articulatist 250

Post by EchoRanger449 »

Xeno2 wrote:The reason you need to make a new BSP chunk is that the model has not been refferenced into the scenario before hand and as such would not be acknowledged.
Alright thanks.

Anyways, I got around my problem. The reason I was having trouble was because I was extracting model tags that were extracted by the author before from another map.