HOWTO: Host a Linux Halo Dedicated Server

This is where the Admins will put tutorials submitted by users.
Cyorxamp

HOWTO: Host a Linux Halo Dedicated Server

Post by Cyorxamp »

Hi folks,

First post here but I'm hoping this will be of use to you all. I have been searching the web for months now trying to locate the way to do this and instead have stumbled on the solution myself... Here is how I have done it and also my circumstances.

p.s. I've made another topic next to this one called 'DOWNLOAD: Xud HaloDed Pack' which contains lots of handy scripts, game types, and some linux bash launchers. They are not essential but very useful, whether setting up a server on Windows or Linux of any HaloDed version. If this is useful could it go in the 'Utilities' board?

>> Situation <<

I am using Debian 4.0 GNU/Linux on my hosted server...
Therefore I do not have a monitor connected to this system, no audio and no 3D graphics...
I access this server remotely using SSH, and VNC

>> How <<

a) Install Wine, version that worked for me was 0.9.42 (later versions spit errors)
b) Install/extract Halo Dedicated Server files and maps to a directory like /opt/haloded/
c) Patch it for the latest haloded.exe (currently 1.07 at the moment)
d) Open ports 2302 and 2303 for UDP traffic
e) If not connected by monitor and in X, then make an X display and connect to it using VNC
f) Go to /opt/haloded/ in terminal and execute 'wineconsole --backend=user cmd.exe /c haloded.exe'

Well done sir!

Everything works as far as I can tell...
- Shows on GameSpy
- Talking in game works
- No extra lag compared to Windows

I wouldn't call myself the absolute and total guru of Linux nor even Wine... however post your experiences here and I'll see what I can do to help.

Steven
sashankta
Readers Club

Post by sashankta »

I've recently switched from the windows mania and come to linux...
thanks alot the tutorial!

I also got Halo PC and CE to work with wine as well....
WaeV

Advisor

Post by WaeV »

Good tut, I might be using this once I get a home server up.

sashankta, do you have any significant lag in halo with wine? If no, what did you do to make it run better?
sashankta
Readers Club

Post by sashankta »

WaeV wrote:Good tut, I might be using this once I get a home server up.

sashankta, do you have any significant lag in halo with wine? If no, what did you do to make it run better?
sry for the amazingly late reply

i constantly host halo dedis on linux (for the past few months) and i havent run across any problems =D
WaeV

Advisor

Post by WaeV »

I meant with the halo client.