How to properly post a WIP/Model thread

This is where the Admins will put tutorials submitted by users.
TomClancey

How to properly post a WIP/Model thread

Post by TomClancey »

How to properly post a WIP/Model thread.

HTML Version available here.

I haven't noticed it as much on this forum, but I thought I'd post it here as well. (For those that don't go to FP.)

Text portion:
When posting a WIP or Model thread, try and include some things about the model. Compose your thoughts well, and most importantly, use proper grammar. It's near impossible to read anything that's posted when it's just mishmashed together with no thought toward how it looks grammatically. As well as having a basic summary (or in depth one) about your model, telling people ahead of time if you're going to release it for any game. Also if you're going to skin it, or just leave it as a clay render for your portfolio. (Giving a link to your portfolio is also a plus.)

Render(s):
When you post a render, always post at least one clay render at a well angled shot to fully capture the model. When I post WIP threads, I post a Clay render, then that same render with a Clay + Wireframe overlay. It's absolutely crucial for me to say that posting a clay render is the best way to go. It's the best way to show the detail of the model, while not taking it to over the top.

If you do not know how to clay render. (Or with a wireframe overlay), I have a tutorial on how to do so.)

Update(s):
Keep the readers in the know about your model with frequent or periodic updates. (What ever your preference is.) If you wait long enough, to the point where someone asks how it's going, just give them a brief summery of what you're working on. I don't find it necessary to post a render unless you already have rendered the model. Unless you've gotten enough done that an update render is in order.

How to clay render (with wireframe overlay as well.):

NOTE: 3ds Max 6+ only.

This portion of the guide will tell you how to accomplish clay rendering. With or without a wireframe overlay.

Setting up the scene:
1.Press F10 or go under Rendering > Render...
2.Under the 'Common' tab select 'Assign Renderer'.
3.On the Production line press the box with '...'.
4.Select 'mental ray Renderer'.
5.'Save as default'. (Not required, but I would as mental ray is a much more advanced rendering engine than Scanline.)
6.Under the 'Indirect Illumination' tab click the 'Final Gather' divider.
7.Check 'Enable' under the Final Gather section.

Lighting the scene:
1.Insert one skylight with default settings into the scene. Placement: Anywhere in the scene.
2.Insert an omni (or 2) into the scene at your discretion. Placement: Above and to the left/right of model. Intensity (Multiplier): 0.3 Color: Any color you want. My suggestion: RGB 47, 204, 255

Materials:

(Regular Clay)
1.Press 'M' to open up the Material Editor.
2.Select a blank, default material.
3.Apply it to your model/models.
4.Render with F9.

(Clay + Wireframe overlay)
1.Press 'M' to open up the Material Editor.
2.Select a blank material.
3.Check wireframe.
4.Make the color pure black.
5.Select a second material.
6.Click the box with 'Standard' in it.
7.Select 'Composite' from the list.
8.Drag and drop the Wireframe material into the 'Mat 1' slot.
9.Render with F9.

And Viola! Instant Clay render with Wireframe. (The reason this is done with Mental Ray is Scanline can't render a composite material in one pass. (In other words, it just renders the object in wireframe, so it's completely see through.) I also used mental ray because it's a much faster rendering engine.)

I hope this guide helped at least one person. :)