The Ultimate Budget Glitch

General discussion of Halo 3.
xXFeRcHoXx

The Ultimate Budget Glitch

Post by xXFeRcHoXx »

This thread was originally posted by Iv0rY Snak3 at ForgeHub Forums. this research has been made by BuddhaCrane and The Cartographer, i didn't take ANY credit, the credits goes to those guys, for other comments, send an email to [email protected], flames goes to [email protected]

Forging 101: Ultimate Budget Glitch

A budget glitched map is one that allows you to ignore the map budget and enables map makers to include far more items than would usually be possible. One of the problems with budget glitched maps is that it requires one of each object to be initially placed on the map. This clutters a map right from the start and is hardly an ideal working environment. There are alternatives, such as in Foundry where there are canvases available with objects outside the map, but if you need to use them it's tiresome getting them back into the playable area.

So one day, TheCartographer and BuddhaCrane thought: "Wouldn't it be nice to have a fully budget glitched map without any of the clutter?" BuddhaCrane writes:

~

TheCartographer (A friend on my FR list) gave me the inspiration for this trick. He got the ball rolling, and I made a rube goldberg machine with that ball. (Silly metaphor)

Enough with the introductory build-up and suspense! On with the method!

1. Have two people in the party (either over LIVE or in a Local match)
2. One person (player 1) goes to the object menu (hit X) and navigates to the item you wish to budget glitch. Then, go to its object summary where you can alter the run-time maximum (hit X again).
3. The other person (player 2) also goes to the menu (hit X), navigates to that same item. They then spawn that object (hit A).
4. Player 1, on the object summary, goes to the run-time maximum and makes sure it's highlighted (i.e. so they can alter the number - hit A). The number should be highlighted at "1". (This will have automatically happened when your team-mate spawned the object).
5. Player 2 holding the object now deletes it.
6. Player 1 on the object summary is still on the run-time maximum, so despite the object not being there any more, they can still alter the run-time maximum value. Now all you're going to do is simply hit A again (Just make sure the run-time maximum is at "1" before you do so, which it should be if you haven't been fiddling around with it). This will confirm your run-time maximum choice to forge.
7. Now, when either player looks at the budget summary for the object it will say there are 0 placed on map - but it has a run-time maximum of 1. That's it, that's the glitch!
8. Rinse and repeat for every object (including flamethrower and filters and any other object with a run-time maximum of 1, it works for those too!)

Once you have every object so that it has 0 on the map but a run-time maximum of 1 then you're finished. You have a fully glitched canvas with no unnecessary crap littering it.

Now I know what you're saying. "That's not budget glitched, I can only spawn one of each object before it un-budget glitches!"

Wrong!

An amazing thing happens. Whenever you spawn an object on this glitched canvas, the run-time maximum automatically increases by 1.

E.g. You budgeted the double boxes so that there is 0 on the map and 1 in the run-time maximum. Spawn a double box. It will say there is 1 on the map and 2 in the run-time maximum; spawn 3 and you get 4 in the run-time maximum... and so on. The run-time maximum always stays 1 step ahead of the number on the map no matter what!

Now say that you delete one of those 3 double boxes. The run time maximum will drop by 1, but spawn a double box again and the run-time maximum will go back up again.

The ONLY time you can't delete an object is if it is the only 1 on the map (the run-time maximum drops down to 0), or if you have already placed ALL of that object on the map (i.e. so the number on the map has caught up with the run-time maximum). Anything in-between that and you can delete and re-spawn to your heart's content.

Two final notes about the glitch:

You can also budget glitch a normal map that you're part-way through, just like you may currently do when you accidentally delete stuff. All you actually have to do is increase its run-time maximum by one, that's it - that's ALL you have to do. Just go to the object you want to budget glitch, go to its run-time maximum and increase it by 1 - you're done.

On the new maps you can also do filters. Now with the old method you would have to put the filter on the map if you wanted to reserve it for later (huge pain, did anyone ever really bother? No, didn't think so). Well, with this method you can reserve it for later because it will have a run-time maximum even though it's not on the map. So if you spend ages making a great map on Blackout and then suddenly decide it could really do with Pen and Ink + Nova filter then you can just select it right then and there, with no need to make sure you have budget left to do so. Nifty eh?

Download Foundry Clean

Download Blackout Clean

Download Avalanche Clean

Thanks, Iv0rY Snak3, BuddhaCrane and TheCartographer for sharing this research with the map-maker community
ManBearPig_06

Post by ManBearPig_06 »

Well that was a delayed response, as he found this a couple months ago...
He also has a clean Foundry.

And since this IS HaloMods, an easier way to do this is just mod the map and set the run time maximum to 1 on everything on a blank canvas.
xbox

Blacksmith

Post by xbox »

This was discovered a few months ago at high impact halo.
xXFeRcHoXx

Post by xXFeRcHoXx »

I know, but there are not Forging Tutorials so take this as a Tutorial, and yea, it was discovered a couple moths ago
CompKronos

Wordewatician 250

Post by CompKronos »

wouldn't this go better in the forge section?
I <3 rant thread
xXFeRcHoXx

Post by xXFeRcHoXx »

Oh, i never expected that :D

Edit: Maybe because there says "Post Maps and Variants", then no tutorials, Gren or Kirk should make a Tutorial Section for Forging :D

Edit2: If not, then, i need permission of Tural or some random staff guy for repost it into Forge section