Community Project: H2V to H2X Conversions

Discuss anything related to Halo 2 Vista here.
grimdoomer

System Engineer

Post by grimdoomer »

I know, but we first have to get the chunks in the map :wink:
AI Zones in MP | Ambiance | Gravemind Beta v1.1
Aumaan Anubis wrote:Grimdoomer. The first person ever to mod Halo 2 Vista.
jackson117

Post by jackson117 »

so has anyone know how to do this H2V to H2X conversion or are they just not gonna share it with us
kibito87

Stylist Connoisseur Advisor Bloodhound
Droplet Articulatist 500

Post by kibito87 »

jackson117 wrote:so has anyone know how to do this H2V to H2X conversion or are they just not gonna share it with us
From what i've been hearing from certain people. It's attainable and is in the works. It's just not completely worked out. That or they are just too lazy to finish off what they think needs to be done.
xzodia

Translator Connoisseur Coagulator

Post by xzodia »

grimdoomer wrote:I know, but we first have to get the chunks in the map :wink:
not if you use a sp map >_>
Halo 2 Plugins | Lock-on To Just About Anything | My Sites | Snow Hog
Old Plugins you have, upgrade you must...
Always Maintain a High Quality-To-Crap Ratio.
grimdoomer

System Engineer

Post by grimdoomer »

Yea but H2V has the same SP maps, so thats like converting oldmombasa to oldmombasa theres no point. Unless you had a SP map with a converted BSP, but you would still need a lot of fixing up to do.
xzodia

Translator Connoisseur Coagulator

Post by xzodia »

jackson117 wrote:ok xbox modders once we get this conversion done for you could you help us do a H2X-H2V conversion because we need some AI maps.
Halo 2 Plugins | Lock-on To Just About Anything | My Sites | Snow Hog
Old Plugins you have, upgrade you must...
Always Maintain a High Quality-To-Crap Ratio.
grimdoomer

System Engineer

Post by grimdoomer »

AI is all in the scenario, so how would converting a BSP get you any where? am I missing something here??
kibito87

Stylist Connoisseur Advisor Bloodhound
Droplet Articulatist 500

Post by kibito87 »

grimdoomer wrote:AI is all in the scenario, so how would converting a BSP get you any where? am I missing something here??
The scenario tells the map what's spawning. You need all the tags required for the AI as well. And those would be in a different format for vista...
grimdoomer

System Engineer

Post by grimdoomer »

Yes they are. There is also specific tags for scripts too.....
Abias

Post by Abias »

Prey wrote:Er.. not quite Tain7ed and Ant.

Every thing in directx is made up of polygons (triangles), that are in turn each made up of 3 vertices (x, y, z points).

A normal is a perpendicular vector pointing away from the front side of a face (the polygon).

A polygon will only have a normal on its front side, a normal on the other side would be quite pointless because of culling. A normal is used for lighting calculations. Meaning that if you were to view the side with a normal with lighting enabled, it would appear correctly.. whilst the side without a normal would just appear completely black.

You might wonder what the point is in normals, but there is a good reason for them, performance for one, and more advanced things such as normal mapping can be done also.

Culling is the term used for basically not displaying polygons that can't be seen. But how would that be calculated? By the order in which the verts appear of course!

By default, directx only culls counter-clockwise faces, which is referred to as 'back-face culling'. As you can see from the picture, the polygon's verts are currently being drawn clockwise. But now imagine that we are viewing it through a camera, now move the camera so we are viewing the other side; suddenly the verts will be being drawn counter-clockwise relevant to our camera, so we see nothing for the triangle will be culled! Remember the culling is always relevant to our viewing frustum. Another example of this would be if you fell through the map and looked up; you should be looking at the otherside of the floor, but actually you'll just see right through because Bungie never meant for you to get there and so didn't waste polygons on making that side.

Obviously with many many pieces of large complicated geometry being used; culling can be quite a hit on performance because of all the math being done.. but this far out-ways the performance hit by drawing all the geometry instead, and so you would be stupid not to cull.

The Blam engine uses clockwise culling, as well as right-handed Cartesian coordinates, which is normally seen in OpenGL.
bRAIN hURT
grimdoomer

System Engineer

Post by grimdoomer »

That was uncalled for.
jackson117

Post by jackson117 »

???????????

and how is that going to fit into this topic
Dalek

Post by Dalek »

jackson117 wrote:???????????

and how is that going to fit into this topic
Everything.
If you don't know what the details above mean then you are no use in this thread and should leave now. :?
neodos
Readers Club

Artisan Miner

Post by neodos »

Can some one get me the h2v shared sbsp, meta and raw data please, or at least tell me how can i get the offsets and size of it?

If found the h2v shared sbsp raw but i am not sure of the size, anyway it looks really different from h2x sbsp raw.

Can someone release info about h2x sbsp raw?

Thanks.
grimdoomer

System Engineer

Post by grimdoomer »

neodos wrote:Can some one get me the h2v shared sbsp, meta and raw data please, or at least tell me how can i get the offsets and size of it?

If found the h2v shared sbsp raw but i am not sure of the size, anyway it looks really different from h2x sbsp raw.

Can someone release info about h2x sbsp raw?

Thanks.
The raw data is organized differently. We need to figure out the differences so we can convert it to Halo 2 Xbox raw.
L0d3x

Articulatist 250

Post by L0d3x »

Abias wrote:
Prey wrote:Er.. not quite Tain7ed and Ant.

Every thing in directx is made up of polygons (triangles), that are in turn each made up of 3 vertices (x, y, z points).

etc... (to save message space)
bRAIN hURT
I actually found that a very interesting read. Prey really knows how to explain something, perhaps he should write a book :P
grimdoomer

System Engineer

Re: Community Project: H2V to H2X Conversions

Post by grimdoomer »

Shade, when you wrote the raw to lockout, did you do it by hand?
Gruntlord5

Post by Gruntlord5 »

so this is possible, we just need more people helping right?
grimdoomer

System Engineer

Post by grimdoomer »

I've been working on this latley so here is what I've got. I've been using the map snave posted. I wrote my own app to build the BSP meta and raw into a xbox map, while preserving the lightmap meta and raw. While looking over shade45s conversion, I noticed problems all over the place, sorry shade but that map will never load. This map has a working lightmap with raw. I noticed after building, my map would look like this:
As Amumaan Anubis told me, he was able to fix it by tweaking the Lightmap Pallet:

I fixed every ident I could, to their xbox counterpart, or a substitute. This map does not load, but there cant be to much wrong with it. If you guys could take a look at try to find anything broken and what not that would be awesome.
Attachments
Patch.rar
Patch to Coagulation
(3.66 MiB) Downloaded 9 times
ImpactPro

Post by ImpactPro »

Hi grim, I will take a look at it, Did you try nulling the sound tags? That would cause most maps not to load on xbox.

Also amazing work!