.XEX and .XEXP?

Post gamesaves, gametypes, and anything else that doesn't fit anywhere else.
HaLo2FrEeEk

.XEX and .XEXP?

Post by HaLo2FrEeEk »

So I was browsing my harddrive last night and I came across the system update file and decided to take a look through it. Simple enough stuff, just a LIVE file, so I looked at the file list and the names are all weird. Almost all of them start with a $ symbol and they're mostly .xexp extensions. I know that he original xbox used .xbe and the xbox 360 uses .xex files, but what is xexp? I tried extracting one, $flash_bootanim.xexp and saving it but I couldn't get anything out of it. Course if it's just an flv or swf file, I didn't have anything to compare it against, but what are they? Is it possible to extract anything useable from them?

There are also a few .xex, .xttp (something like http, maybe?), and .bin files as well.
mxrider108

Renovator Wordewatician 250

Re: .XEX and .XEXP?

Post by mxrider108 »

If they are going to use any kind of recognizable animation format it would probably be silverlight as opposed to flash, considering it was developed by microsoft...
Last edited by mxrider108 on Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HaLo2FrEeEk

Post by HaLo2FrEeEk »

But the ame says flash_bootanim, unless it jus means it's writing that new bootanim to the flash memory...
unknownv2

Post by unknownv2 »

.xexp files are patches for the .xex files. Of course your are not going to open it in a hex editor and read it because xex files contain instructions for the 360.
HaLo2FrEeEk

Post by HaLo2FrEeEk »

Well, I just wanted to try. Thanks for the info.